shipping to darwin

Guest julie n

Guest julie n

hi can anyone help, we are due to emigrate to darwin the 1st week in april 2011 we are not shipping all our belongings but would like some info on shipping single items to darwin if possible which are good companies and how long do you have to wait for your items, i was thinking of buying a new washing machine here in the uk and have it sent over but didnt know the best way of doing it the same with our TVs really i was going toput them through the postal service but this service has a maximum weight of 30kgs and i am very aware that items are very expensive to purchase in Darwin. just another question i am aware that cost of living and renting is very expensive i was just wondering what an ideal salary for a family of 4 would have to be earning, to make ends meet, i will be earning approx $55,500 as a nurse .

kind regards julie

Guest siamsusie
hi can anyone help, we are due to emigrate to darwin the 1st week in april 2011 we are not shipping all our belongings but would like some info on shipping single items to darwin if possible which are good companies and how long do you have to wait for your items, i was thinking of buying a new washing machine here in the uk and have it sent over but didnt know the best way of doing it the same with our TVs really i was going toput them through the postal service but this service has a maximum weight of 30kgs and i am very aware that items are very expensive to purchase in Darwin. just another question i am aware that cost of living and renting is very expensive i was just wondering what an ideal salary for a family of 4 would have to be earning, to make ends meet, i will be earning approx $55,500 as a nurse .

kind regards julie

Morning Julie,

I think you will find on items that are valued at $1,000 or more and unused are liable for duty.

Personal or private use imports

All imported goods are subject to assessment for duty, GST and other taxes and charges even if you imported those goods for your own use. If the goods you imported have a value over $1,000 you will need to lodge an import declaration and pay any duty, GST or other taxes and charges that may apply.

Lodging and finalising an import declaration means the goods are ‘entered for home consumption’. The term ‘entered for home consumption‘, used by Customs and Border Protection, means goods were declared and cleared from Customs control in accordance with Customs law for delivery within Australia.

You have many places like Retravision Darwin for washing machines and tvs , K Mart etc why not price them up there.

Janine Dancing Party Queen lives up in Darwin, she would give you a fair idea of rents etc..

Susie

Not sure what an ideal salary would be tp live here.It would depend on your expectations.

Renting is a little expensive however you do get more for your money on the Palmerston side of Darwin.Plenty of rentals around for under $500 a week most with pools or spas and decent sized gardens.

Im in Driver and the hospital is about 20 mins by car but there are regular buses from Palmerston interchange.

Food shopping is a bit limited to Coles or Woolies but we have some excellent fresh produce markets on at a weekend.

If you need anything give me a shout and I'll be happy to help.

Hi there

we just had a quote for shipping some stuff to Darwin. we are not taking all our furniture (we need a new bed and sofa anyway) and are leaving fridge and washing machine. the quote was £4300 for 550 cu/ft by groupage.

does that sound normal? I know that people on here say the costs of shipping to Darwin are much higher than most Oz destinations.

I'm going to call a few other companies for quotes but would appriciate any info or advice anyone can share.

many thanks

Jo

Julie Hi My partner and I live in Darwin having relocated from UK. A few things that we found.

Darwin is generally quite expensive, especially rents, we pay $1100 a fortnight for a 2 bedroomed unit in cullen bay, having said that if you're a nurse and working at the hospital which out of town rents should be cheaper.

We bought washing machine, fridge, and television when we got here, if you can pay cash at "the good guys" it certainly wont be worth buying a machine in the UK and shipping it, some rental properties have a washing machine included and most have a dryer. In our experience ALWAYS ask for a deal we've not paid the ticket price yet and that included furniture.

Make sure they've actually got what you want, if they have to order it stuff can take a while to get to the top end of the NT.

We came out 6 weeks ago and our stuff wont get to Brisbane until March 30th and then we have to wait for it clear customs and then get to Darwin so you could be in for quite a wait for your stuff to get to you.

Hope this helps

Jim

Wasking Mashines are not that much cheaper t

We bought washing machine, fridge, and television when we got here, if you can pay cash at "the good guys" it certainly wont be worth buying a machine in the UK and shipping it, some rental properties have a washing machine included and most have a dryer. In our experience ALWAYS ask for a deal we've not paid the ticket price yet and that included furniture.

Hi Jim - quick question for you...

we were going to ship out our tumble dryer with us but we are expecting to rent for at least 12 months when we arrive in Darwin. would you suggest we don't bother if most rental properties have a dryer?

cheers

Jo

Hi Jim - quick question for you...

we were going to ship out our tumble dryer with us but we are expecting to rent for at least 12 months when we arrive in Darwin. would you suggest we don't bother if most rental properties have a dryer?

cheers

Jo

Not sure how much you actually save by not shipping it? All the units we looked at had a dryer, some had washing mashines but not all, if you do ship it all the units we looked at have store rooms. We have shipped our tumble dryer but then my company have paid for our shipping so cost wasn't an issue, it'll go into the store room until we need it. Also go onto the good guys web site and see how much white goods cost here that help you make up your mind I guess?

Thanks Jim, i think we are going to take the dryer...its not much cheaper to exclude it from the list of items and its bound to cost us more to buy one eventually. as we have no idea of where we will be renting i reckon this is the safest option.

thanks for the tip on the good guys - had a good look at the website

Jo

Archived