Signing up to a doctor

Guest nattie

Guest nattie

Hi all,

I am moving over to oz next month, i am going over on a 9 month prospective marriage visa, am i still able to sign up with a doctor?. I am applying for the spouse visa after that will keep me there 2 yrs, surley the can't deprive me of medical care. Am only asking as i will need to go on thereContraception pill don't know what to do HELP !.

Guest THE JONEZYS

Hi.

Assuming its the same all over Aus but where we live tou don't sign up as such.

Because you have to pay here, just to see the doc' you can just walk in to any practice, fill in a few contact details and make an appointment.

I don't know how you will go on a temp visa because you will need a medicare No'.

Just a thought but would your doc in the UK stock you up if you told him you would be travelling for 9 months. At least you would have supplies to tide you over.

Good luck.

Lesley

Guest koala12

Hi Nattie

You can go to any doctor you want in Oz, you don't have to be registered with one as you do in England. Not sure if you can get a medicare card, you might be able to get one that has certain restrictions on it as my daughter who came out initially on a working holiday visa got one which entitles you to basic care, ie if you need to see a doctor and also emergency care. Re pill, you have to pay for it here as you do all prescriptions but prices vary from Pharmacy to Pharmacy as they try and undercut each other to get business. If I was you I would ask your Dr. in England for a prescription for a few months supply to give you time to sort yourself out when you get to Oz.

Good luck

Karen

Guest nattie
Hi Nattie

You can go to any doctor you want in Oz, you don't have to be registered with one as you do in England. Not sure if you can get a medicare card, you might be able to get one that has certain restrictions on it as my daughter who came out initially on a working holiday visa got one which entitles you to basic care, ie if you need to see a doctor and also emergency care. Re pill, you have to pay for it here as you do all prescriptions but prices vary from Pharmacy to Pharmacy as they try and undercut each other to get business. If I was you I would ask your Dr. in England for a prescription for a few months supply to give you time to sort yourself out when you get to Oz.

Good luck

Karen

Thanks for the info guys!, asked hubby to be aswell, he said i won't be able to get the medicare card as it says on the visa application. But if i needed to see a doctor at any point i would have to pay to see one.

As for the pill, got a 6 months supply today, totalling 8 months worth. Coming back to England in march for the wedding so i will be able to get some more before i move back to Oz.

Archived