Money Worries

Hi.

Waiting for TRA approval at mo.

Started looking a cost of living in Oz and got a shock.

Can anyone give a general breakdown of costs to keep family of 2 adults and 2 under 5's.

Need prices for car tax and ins. also. Any other costs i.e leccy and gas etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve & Sha.

Guest ABCDiamond

Annual figures for me

Car Insurance: Comp with max NCD $393.00 (2001, 3 litre car, over 30's)

Car Reg & compulsory CTP: $646.00 combined

My last 3 Quarterly elec bills: $326.40, $317.50, $425.75 (we used air con in the summer)

We don't have Gas, so our Elec bill would equal your combined Gas & Elec.

Last two quarterly rates & water bills combined, $477.87, $466.09

We pay about $4,000 per year in private education for our daughter, that includes fees, uniforms, trips etc etc, everything.

State school costs would be about $500.

Some private schools are up to about $20,000, but many are in the $3k to $6k region.

Guest ABCDiamond

Food costs can vary wildly, depending on where you buy, and what you eat.

Packaged, convenience food is very expensive, but fresh food tends to be much cheaper.

Butchers can be much cheaper than Supermarkets, and the same with local fruit & veg stores.

Guest ABCDiamond

Some food prices at a local Butcher, in my local paper today..........

Pork Legs $4.99 per kg

Chicken Drumsticks $2.99 per kg

Chicken Breast Fillets $7.99 per kg

Sides of Lamb $3.99 per kg

Yearling T Bone Steak $8.99 per kg (min 5kg)

Rump Steak $6.99 per kg (min 5kg)

Yearling Rump $10.99 per Kg (min 5kg)

Now for the Supermarket prices........

Leg of Pork 3kg $33.00 (that's $11 per kg)

Rump steak ....... Woolworths online has it at $29 p kg, but I'm sure it is only about $17.00 p kg

Chicken - Breast Fillets $14.40 per kg

Guess why we don't buy meat at the Supermarket :D:D

Guest poeblo

ABC your fantastic with all the info, you know I live in a village which has a very good butcher, however its cheaper for me to buy from the supermarket and the meat is no where near as good.

I know this sounds sad , but I cant wait to buy meat from the butchers and going to markets for fruit and veg, instead if the cheapest from supermarkets.....so in reflection it all depends on how you want your life style to pan out when you move, as to what the cost of living will be ??

Guest ABCDiamond
ABC your fantastic with all the info, you know I live in a village which has a very good butcher, however its cheaper for me to buy from the supermarket and the meat is no where near as good.

I know this sounds sad , but I cant wait to buy meat from the butchers and going to markets for fruit and veg, instead if the cheapest from supermarkets.....so in reflection it all depends on how you want your life style to pan out when you move, as to what the cost of living will be ??

When my wife went overseas for a few weeks, my cost of living soared, due to her being the cook, and I had to make do with pre-packed meals :D

It would have been cheaper to eat takeaweay all the time !!!

some examples of that:

Local Takeaway:

Large freshly Cooked Hot Chicken $9 & Hot Chips for three people $3

= Ready Meal for 3 for $12

Hungry Jacks: 2 Whoppers, 2 burgers, 4 small fries & 4 small cokes $13.95. We seem to get vouchers for these Hungry Jacks things all the time.

Freshly cooked Pizza at Dominoes $5.95

Frozen Pizza at Woolworths $7.99

!@!@!

I do not know that it is the same everywhere, and have actually heard that things are more expensive in Melbourne, but maybe when shopping around, after you settle in, maybe then people find all the best places ?

Guest poeblo

ABC I agree , having been to OZ twice and deciding to settle in the Brisbane area, I discovered the same thing, take outs are cheaper than buying in bulk from supermarkets and fresh, better quality foods ( butchers,markets ect..) were better value for money.

Here in the north of England ( Lancashire Witch Country) I am very consious of what types of foods are good for my kids, with my son suffering from asthma and getting bronchitis in bad weather,I have to make sure we have the best quality fruit and veg ( fresh) not mass produced over prossessed foods from Asda for eg..this costs us a fortune as a result as fresh fruit and veg is VERY expensive here in the UK. I compared my food bill to my cousins in Brightview, she has three kids and I have 2 kids, both of us have a husband each and mine is also diebetic making my job harder. Her family got more fruit and veg in one week than we can afford in two weeks and her shopping bill was lower by 10%.

I think if your used to buying in bulk for time saving reasons from supermarkets, you wont save money. If you are prepared to manage you time to invest in better food, youll find you are better off in pocket and your food is better for you.

Archived