Lucky me I have a Choice of Cities, Help please

Guest neiljbm

Guest neiljbm

Hi everyone I would be grateful for a little help as I will soon be moving to oz (from scotland) for a min 12 month period and have the choice of which city to be based in (all australia).

I will be spending a lot of time driving from site to site all over my chosen area and possibly working through the nightime in residential areas.

My main priorities when deciding which city/state will be quality of life, property rental prices, personal safety (nightime mainly) traffic congestion and the usual other concerns of being somewhere for the first time. I'm more of a local pub type than a night clubber and wouldn't really consider the night life a priority,

Please help me decide which city / state

thanks for your comments in advance

neil

Guest ABCDiamond

Hi Neil

I think this question could be answered with many different answers.

I personally think Brisbane would be best, but I would bet my bottom dollar that someone in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney etc would disagree and think their city is best.

Where I am is a nice peaceful area, "lazy and relaxed" could be applied to the description, but other parts of the Brisbane area may be very different. My area also seems very safe, but I am sure there are some Brisbane areas that I would not feel too safe in.

You mention "local pub type". The pubs here are not the same as UK pubs, and unless you are very lucky, you may have to forego that, or adapt to the norm here. Perth may be different in that respect, as they do not have poker machines, which are very standard in most pubs here.

Sydney, I found to be hectic, more like London, which would for some people be ideal, and for others a nightmare :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi neil,

Local pub life, more or less forget it ! Most are pretty horrible, but I speak mainly of Sydney where they are dominated by pokie machines and TV screens all showing something different (without sound) and are show various sporting events or are on line betting screens for almost any and every thing you can bet on. The pub takes the bets over the counter, and pays out any winners. You can find nice people in these places who like to give any amount of advice to newly arrived poms and they like to take the piss, usually in a nice sort of way. Because of the betting, the pubs do attract some low life but most patrons are too busy watching one screen or another to engage in conversation of any kind.

There are however a number of clubs in most areas, in particular RSL clubs. There is no entry fee for visitors in these clubs which vary considerably in size and facilities. Drinks and meals are much cheaper than in pubs and restaurants because they are subsidised by the numerous "Pokies" which are usualy housed in seperate rooms.

The clientelle in these places are better than the pubs. Try the local RSL

Club every night for a week and there is no doubt that you will get to know people, but the opening hours of these clubs vary from night to night and you may find you are kicked out much earlier on some nights than the English pub. The advantage of this is that you get to bed earlier, wake up earlier in the morning to beautyifull sunshine anf feel better for it.

You will need to adjust to a new routine. I know, I am a 7 night a week, last out regular in Sheffield, having just returned from 3 months in Sydney. It is difficult to adjust, it takes a little time, but it does come and it;s worth it because of year round good weather, no more six months of rain and darness ! By the way, I am 70 years old with a lifetime of English pub culture, but I'm off there for good in September and I WILL MISS MY PUB - for a while. Got to get off now to the Ranmoor Inn.

Good luck - CHEERS !!

TD. [/b]

Guest neiljbm

thanks abc and td for your comments,

I have made my choice and am going to melbourne at the end of may for a 6-9 month contract, possibly longer.

I dont need to have a typical local pub I wanted to make the point that the sydney night life wasnt my scene, but saying that I do like a good sociable drink with local company.

My dilemmas now are housing as I'm looking for a 2 bedroom rent which will be in a decent area with good driving access to melbourne,although I will be travelling all over the state, please be aware I am not a fussy person when it comes to accomodation.

My budget will be around AUD$200 PER WEEK for accomodation, any advice/comments would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Guest afs

I would look at realestate.com.au - that is one of the best sites for searching for accommodation.

Archived