Moving to Oz in May - help!!!!

Guest dee

Hi, myself, my husband and three children are moving to Ox on 15th May, my husband will hopefully be getting sponsorship through work but we have never been to Australia and have the option of moving to Melbourne/Newcastle/Brisbane. Does anyone have any info on these areas and where's ideal to relocate with three small children?

Guest Boomer

Hi Dee

I don't know about Newcastle but my partner and I lived in Sydney for 3 years 6 years ago, Sydney is great but property prices will be expensive. Melbourne's climate is to similar to the UK for my liking. In the 6 years since living in Sydney we have come back to blighty, now have 2 young kids and are upping sticks again and going to live in Brisbane. We are leaving on 27 July. Brisbane has a superb climate (bit warm Dec-Feb), but their winter is like our summer...only better. Property prices are a lot less than Sydney and we have a friend who lives there. Just found a little website that we found really good about Australia and Brisbane http://www.livingin-australia.com/.

It would be good to meet up with people who are in Brisbane when we arrive, who also need some help and support as we will.

If you choose Brissie keep in touch.

Regards

Nick

We are in country Victoria and love it, the weather has been nice and hot without the high humidity so suits us fine. I know that there will be a colder winter but at least we will know that at the end of it we will get this lovely spring, summer and Autumn. We also get snow in the mountains which the kids love! We moved here with 4 kids with never having visited Australia before and definately made the right choice.

Before Ian got this particular job offer we had an opportunity to move to Newcastle which fell through at the last min. I do have friends that are very impressed with the area as it is very up and comming with a lovely dock area. Other than that I have no first hand information sorry.

The main thing is to go where you will easily find work as the rest can come in time , if you want more info on Melbourne then I would check out the BritVics website and ask people on there for more info.

Good luck with what ever you decide

Nicky

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi, myself, my husband and three children are moving to Ox on 15th May, my husband will hopefully be getting sponsorship through work but we have never been to Australia and have the option of moving to Melbourne/Newcastle/Brisbane. Does anyone have any info on these areas and where's ideal to relocate with three small children?

We lived in Sydney for 10+ years, but moved to Brisbane 3 years ago, and would not look back now :)

The weather is nicer, and property is cheaper, when comparing like with like.

If you pick the right area in the Brisbane area, it doesn't even get too hot :)

I'm not sure I would consider Newcastle as an option myself, although I have never stopped there, always drove straight through ;)

Guest Daceys

Hi ABCD

We will be migrating to Brisbane next year.

Looking between Albany Creek and Bray Park regions, what are your thoughts?

Al and Kaz

Guest Boomer
We lived in Sydney for 10+ years, but moved to Brisbane 3 years ago, and would not look back now :)

The weather is nicer, and property is cheaper, when comparing like with like.

If you pick the right area in the Brisbane area, it doesn't even get too hot :)

I'm not sure I would consider Newcastle as an option myself, although I have never stopped there, always drove straight through ;)

Just to keep you busy ABC. What are the right areas for not getting too hot in Brissie?

Cheers

Boomer

Guest ABCDiamond
Just to keep you busy ABC. What are the right areas for not getting too hot in Brissie?

Cheers

Boomer

Near the coast, Bayside type areas :)

Some comparisons of the different weather around Brisbane

These figures are for December 2005, in Brisbane areas, from http://www.wunderground.com

Mount Gravatt

had 13 days exceeding 32°C and 5 days over 92% humidity

7 days at 33°C

5 days at 34°C

1 day at 36°C

Taringa/Toowing

had 24 days exceeding 32°C and 19 days over 92% humidity

1 days at 33°C

3 days at 34°C

4 days at 35°C

8 days at 36°C

4 days at 37°C

4 days at 38°C

Ipswich

had 25 days exceeding 32°C and 16 days over 92% humidity

2 days at 33°C

3 days at 34°C

3 days at 35°C

3 days at 36°C

3 days at 37°C

7 days at 38°C

3 days at 39°C

1 days at 40°C

Cleveland/Bayside

had 8 days exceeding 32°C and 1 day over 92% humidity

4 days at 33°C

3 days at 34°C

1 days at 37°C

I compare temps to where I used to live in Sydney, and Dec 2005 down there had the following...

1 day at less than 30°C

1 day at 31°C

1 day at 32°C

1 day at 33°C

1 day at 34°C

3 days at 35°C

3 days at 36°C

1 day at 37°C

6 days at 38°C

2 days at 39°C

4 days at 40°C

1 day at 41°C

2 days at 42°C

2 days at 43°C

1 day at 45°C

1 day at 46°C

Humidity wise, it reached 91% on just one day in that area.

My wife was very surprised when we moved up here, and ww found it to be cooler, as we both expected it to be hotter ... well, everyone says it will be :D

But.... some areas are hotter, and for longer periods.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pommy in Queensland

Definately Brisbane. I have lived in Australia for 21 years and lived 20 of them in Brisbane. Half of those were on the northside Ashgrove and Ferny hills. After I married I move to the bayside Cleveland/Victoria Point/Redland Bay. I would definately choose the bayside. Lovely schools, great climate and near the bay. We have now moved 1 hour west of there into the country.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Missiemo

Hi

Myself, hubby and three young children moving to Melbourne in June, we picked this area for the excellent schools and plenty to keep the children happy, but no doubt that applies to all of Oz.

Good Luck with the move

Mo

well the most likely place to relocate for us will be brisbane but my hubby does have job offer in Melbourne too! We've never been before to Oz so it's an experience in itself! Good luck yourselves - keep in touch

Archived