Rehoming pet dog

Guest Anita

Guest Anita

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone else had any experience of trying to rehome their pets before migrating? We have an 11 year old springer spaniel who has been with us since she was 6 weeks old but we just don't feel its fair to put her through the ordeal of emigrating and therefore want to find her a good home.

Any advice most appreciated.

Anita x

Guest scoop

Hi Anita

I have three dogs myself! They are all rescue and whilst the cost of taking them brings me out in sweats I don't feel I can leave them behind! One of them is terminal so may not make it.

I just don't know where I would begin to entrust them to anyone else on my departure.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Hope it all goes well.

SCoop

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

Hi,

If you are thinking of taking any pet i would advise that you contact Qantas first ( Qantas is the only carrier allowed to transport livestock to Australia)

The age of the animal will also depend on the travel arrangements. We have 3 cats that will be taking, after speaking with our vet she advised to contact DEFRA for information. On speaking with them it transpires that animals aged over 10yrs are classified as high risk and have to go through very stringent checks prior.

If the cost is not an issue and the dog is fine to travel then go for it.

Cheers.

Guest Anita

Just to update you on our dog Hollie...we have found a lovely family to give her a new home and Hollie will be going to live with them in 2 weeks time. I know it's the right decision to make but still feel horrible about it.

Archived