tradies just how different is it?

ducktape

I have noticed when tradesmen say it’s different in Australia; they don’t actually give any examples of how different it really is. Now I did work in Australia albeit ten years ago and apart from the trade language being different and some subtle differences didn’t think it was that different, however times change ten years has passed since I was last there.

When I had my assessment in wall and floor tiling I chatted to my assessor about this trade in specific but we also talked about carpentry, which is actually my first trade, tiling is my secondary trade (the reason I picked tiling was because it was a faster route than carpentry for visa reasons). There didn’t seem to me to be much difference. I occasionally meet Oz trades here and they seem to think I’ll be alright when I get there...

Obviously it’s the other side of the world and things will be different, so can some trades help me giving some examples? I already understand about licensing and the requirements.

Any info would be great.

Not a tradie however do know that the work scene has changed here in Aus. With the work place changes and downsizing that has taken place a lot more people are now self employed or casual and that seems to apply to some trades people. Depends whether you work on commercial building which is usually done by the large building contractors or the home building industry where people seem to contract to the builders.

Depends where you will be living I guess. Hope some one pops along with a bit more knowledge for you.

Guest Working to fish

1st thing is your in the land down under ,you have to work up side down.

2nd. Just do your job your way ,you will have no worries .

:jiggy:

Not a tradie however do know that the work scene has changed here in Aus. With the work place changes and downsizing that has taken place a lot more people are now self employed or casual and that seems to apply to some trades people. Depends whether you work on commercial building which is usually done by the large building contractors or the home building industry where people seem to contract to the builders.

Depends where you will be living I guess. Hope some one pops along with a bit more knowledge for you.

When I was in aus last time working I noticed this trend developing, which suits me as I operate within the small contractor / self employed area in the home building industry. So I guess if this is the scene now then I'll feel relatively at home.

Archived