457 Contract terminated. 28 days to find new job or...?

Guest Marcus76

Guest Marcus76

Hi all

I desperately need some advice. After living and working in Australia for 4 and a half years, I lost my job yesterday. They terminated my contract. I am devastated. Im due to fly home for Xmas next Sat (11 Dec) which gives me a week to sort something out. Do I try and find a new job within a week? Are there any visas I can apply for in the meantime? I have an apartment full of stuff, wonderful friends and I don't want to leave my life here behind.

I'm due to fly back to Oz on 3 January, but by then the 28 days would be up I think, depending on when my 457 is actually cancelled. Am I able to transfer it to another employer within the 28 days? Can I lodge a Skilled Migrations Visa (Im on the SOL)? $2500 to lodge but worth it.

I'm scared, confused and do not know what to do. I am researching like a mad man today...and have a whole week to really put something into motion.

If a friend offered to sponsor me independently is this possible?

Marcus

Guest Marcus76

This is why I need to speak to an agent. Once I lodge some kind of visa Im automatically on a bridging visa. Just not sure what best for me or even available! The worst week of my life :(

Guest guest36187

Plenty of agents post on here. Have you approached any for advice?

George Lombard

Alan Collett

Susaan McGrath

Cheryl Bird (birdiesinoz)

Do I try and find a new job within a week?

Probably your best bet.

Am I able to transfer it to another employer within the 28 days?

You can if they are registered to be able to Nominate for Sponsorship, Depends on how long you got left on your old visa (you mentioned something about 4 1/2 Years) you might need to make a new application... once you do that you will be issued with a bridging visa.

Can I lodge a Skilled Migrations Visa (Im on the SOL)? $2500 to lodge but worth it.

Well you wouldn't get a bridging visa if you lodge an offshore Skilled Migration visa so you wouldn't be able to stay you would have to leave anyway.

If a friend offered to sponsor me independently is this possible?

Sponsor you independently? How does that work?

Sounds a bit of a contradiction.

Archived