Plumbing/Electrical registration under the new TRA!!!!!

Guest jonseywife

Guest jonseywife

Hi all

Thought I would share this info with you as I know there are quite a few plumbers/plumbers wives on here struggling to find out how the system works for Registration/licensing in Oz.

I have been wondering if people, like my OH, who have already passed their TRA would be able do to the new stage three - practical skills test to gain Registration, whilst still in the UK?????? I have sent numerous e-mails to numerous people and I have finally got an answer from VETASSESS (the new training body for tra) this is what they have said:

Unfortunately, the assessment process VETASSESS will be providing from September 1 will be a single assessment process - ie, it will not be split into two separate services of a Competency Profile (paper-based assessment) and the Practical Skills Assessment. The explanation and fee structure for the assessment is staggered into three stages to ensure that only applicants who have a chance of passing the practical skills assessment pay that part of the assessment fee - this means that in order to undertake the practical assessment you would have to begin from scratch and complete the Competency Profile first, even though you have already passed your TRA assessment. Practical Skills Assessments are unlikely to be scheduled before January 2008. You will need to weigh up the factors and decide whether the cost and time involved is worth pursuing the VETASSESS assessment, or whether it would be quicker and/or cheaper to pursue another option (licensing course).

So basically.............. we would have to wait till begin 2008 and pay just over $2000 or still have to do it the old fashioned way of waiting till your in Oz, waiting for a Registration course to come up at you local TAFE college and then get your Registration/License that way !!!!!!!!!

Some plumbers only bother with Registration and then get licensed plumbers within their firm to sign their work off, but obviously they get paid less !

It makes me mad......... :arghh: especially as most plumbers like my OH have already paid for and done all this in the UK (City & Guilds, Corgi, ACS, Gas safety & heat efficiency etc., etc., !!!!!!)

Anyhow, the new system seems much better (and pricier!!) but at least you end up Registerd and can start work straight away when you get to Oz !!!

Heres the link below for anyone applying under the new system:

Good luck :wacko:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

Guest wardy

I dont know how reliable my info is but I have been told that the new system only gives you a provisional licence, you still have to go back to TAFE once in Australia to get a full licence.

Kaye

Guest fatpom

Whatever the rules are Poms don't have any special rights over anyone else. Every other national (including Aussies) must meet the minimum standard and be seen to do so with regards to skills.

I not writing this to piss anyone off, honestly, although I know it will. :) For the record I too can't work in the field that I worked in for 20 years in the UK, because I don't meet Aussie standards & that's fair enough. It would take four years of full time study to make the grade here which I simply can't afford.

The UK apprenticeship system has (sadly) been eroded over the last 20-30 years - it started before the Thatcher years & got progressively worse during her period (I can't comment about the Blair period). I'm not surprised that the average pommy tradesmen is given no more credibility than Borat or his mate Chen but nor should he anyway. This is the land of the fair go, but you'll be expected to prove yourself.

If you're up to scratch & you certainly will be if you've done a proper indentured apprenticeship then you'll breeze through the process.

Archived