IELTS deadline

chandi

Changes to the time of provision of evidence of English language ability

There are new arrangements for the provision of evidence for English language ability. Applicants for the following GSM subclasses have until the time of decision to provide evidence of their English language ability.

• Skilled – Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885)
  • Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) visa (subclass 886)
  • Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
  • Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
  • Skilled – Provisional (Regional Sponsored) visa (subclass 475)
  • Skilled – Provisional (Recognised Graduate) visa (subclass 476)
  • Skilled – Provisional (Graduate) visa (subclass 485) (where the application was made on or after 27 October 2008).

Applicants should not delay in providing their evidence of English language ability. The department will not delay finalising applications where English language test results have not been provided at time of application. Applicants will have 28 days from the date of application to provide their English language results if they did not provide them at time of application. At this point in time, if evidence has not been provided the application will be refused.

There is no change in the requirements for Skilled – Provisional (Graduate) visa (subclass 485) where the application was made before 27 October 2008 or the Skilled Provisional (Regional Sponsored) visa (subclass 487). The applicant must either provide evidence of English language ability at time of application or provide evidence that they have made a booking to undertake an English language test

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I have posted above is an excerpt from "What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration" in the DIAC homepage. This notice came up around April 2010. I am confused with the two mutually contradictory statements that are in red. When is the actual deadline for IELTS results once I have submitted the application? Also, are the results to be sent by post directly from the test centre, and if so how long would it take for that? Any info/ideas would be highly appreciated. Just got 1month to apply before VIC SMP expires, and don't wanna miss it again due to an English test!

btw, the online application states something like this:

IMPORTANT NOTE:

You must provide evidence of your English language ability, or evidence that an English language test has been booked (Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Subclass 487) visa applicants only) when you lodge this application. Failure to do so may result in you being unable to satisfy the criteria for this visa, and this application may be refused.

Does this mean having registered for IELTS before submitting the visa app would suffice? I live in the middle of nowhere (Japan) and my next available test date is 15th Jan!!!

Chandi

Guest thelongwait

hi

i think you are right, the messages in red do seem to contradict each other. maybe you will have to phone up, i think they made a mistake!

i cant say for japan but in australia, results take 14 days to come out plus the time to post the certificate. so you take the exam on a saturday and receive the certificate around tuesday or wednesday, so it takes about 17 days in total.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I sent a written inquiry to DIAC, will wait and see.

The results do come out in 13 days here too. I gather your local test centre mails it to you. So do you have to have a score report posted directly to DIAC?

mmm. after two calls and one email, I am more confused!

The email reply suggests its 28 days or decision time, whichever comes later.

If this is true, one wouldn't have to worry too much about it I guess.

However, I called before this came through, and the answer I got was

the exact opposite: 28 days or decision time, whichever comes earlier!

Called once again after I got the email reply, and this time I was told

if I don't submit results in 28 days, the application will automatically

be void. I'm sure it takes a lot to be this inconsistent with something

pretty simple!!!

------------------------------------------------------

WHEN TO SIT AN IELTS TEST There are new arrangements for the provision of evidence for English language ability. If you are applying for one of the following General Skilled Migration subclasses, proof of English language ability is a time of decision criteria. However the department may finalise your application at any time and you should submit proof of your language skills within 28 days of submitting your application.

*Skilled - Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885)

*Skilled - Sponsored (Residence) visa (subclass 886)

*Skilled - Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

*Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

*Skilled - Provisional (Regional Sponsored) visa (subclass 475)

*Skilled - Provisional (Recognised Graduate) visa (subclass 476)

*Skilled - Provisional (Graduate) visa (subclass 485) (where the application was made on or after 27 October 2008).

There is no change in the requirements for Skilled - Provisional (Graduate) visa (subclass 485) where the application was made before 27 October 2008 or the Skilled - Provisional (Regional Sponsored) visa (subclass 487). You must either provide evidence of English language ability at time of application or provide evidence that you have made a booking to undertake an IELTS test. More information is available on the department's website at <http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm#r>

You should, therefore, book a date and time for sitting your IELTS test well in advance of when you plan to apply. This will ensure that your results are available to include with your application.

If you are applying for a Skilled - Regional (subclass 887) visa, you are not required to demonstrate your English language ability.

If you are applying for a Skilled - Regional Sponsored (subclass 487) visa and are unable to obtain an IELTS test result before you apply, you must provide the department evidence of when you are booked to sit your IELTS test at the time of your visa application.

You should send a certified copy of your test results to the department once you have completed the test and received your results.

If you lodge your General Skilled Migration visa application without your IELTS test results, and subsequently fail to achieve the required results on your IELTS test, the decision maker assessing your application need only allow you that one opportunity (one examination) to demonstrate that you meet the required level of English language ability. Research indicates that scores are unlikely to improve dramatically without extensive English language tuition in the interim.

Archived