expat mortgages

Guest loz

Hi

I have noticed some posts earlier in the year discussing expat mortgages. We are hoping to move back to the UK in the next few months. Has anyone gone down this road and how easy did you find it.

Any advice and pointers would be very much appreciated

Thanks

We managed to secure a mortgage thrugh the Halifax but in the end it wasn't an expat Mortgage as we had to return withn a month of completion (no idea why-but we had a rough return date anyway) I don't think they knew what they were doing but it didn't matter as we got what we wanted and we completed 2 days after arriving back. The mortgage was given based on earnings in Oz and a secured job in the UK to return to, this and a large deposit.

A friend of mine did the same and she wasn't expected to return within 3 years of completion but had to have a job offer to secure the mortgage (it doesn't make any sense but as long as you get it then it's all good)

I would contact the Halifax directly via telephone and then they will call you back after that initial call, make sure you get a name- I have one if you need email details, she was excellent.

Good luck, we have been back over 8 weeks and not for 1 second have we doubted our decision, despite the stress and expense....

Hi Connie

Thanks for that. Yes it does seem strange that you have to be in the country an secured a job for completion.

I will contact the Halifax and see how I go.

Its good to know that someone has done it - so it is possible. We are putting the house on the market here next week and hopefully it wont be on too long. We can then start making definite plans for our return

Glad to know you have settled back and have no regrets. Thanks again for the tips, its very much appreciated

Loz :hug:

Archived