Does Aussie Have Colleges?

Guest jonathan

Guest jonathan

Hi, i am jonathan's daughter and if my dad wishes to move to

aussie i need to know about the colleges.

when we move i would have done my GCSE's.. and i need to look at colleges, i have looked but so far i have had no luck, theyre just coming up with universities.. which i really dont need yet.. :?

could some-one please give me a link as to any colleges in Queensland? i'm 16 and would be going to college in September 2006.

Many Thanks

Laura x :)

Hi, i am jonathan's daughter and if my dad wishes to move to

aussie i need to know about the colleges.

when we move i would have done my GCSE's.. and i need to look at colleges, i have looked but so far i have had no luck, theyre just coming up with universities.. which i really dont need yet.. :?

could some-one please give me a link as to any colleges in Queensland? i'm 16 and would be going to college in September 2006.

Many Thanks

Laura x :)

Hi Jonathan and Laura,

I've tried to find the answer to this and haven't managed it so far..

think the equivalent to 6th form is Year 11 and 12 which gives you an 'OP'.. (overall position I think) which will give university entry.

TAFE (technical & furthe ed.) www.tafe.qld.gov.au/ seem to offer vocational courses which you can start at 16 but can't do tertiary admission courses until 18 or older.

I read on some forums that GCSE's are transferable but can't find the evidence and no one seems to know ?? 'A' levels can give you an equivalent for uni entry in Oz but no use to you yet.

www.britzinoz.com/info/education.htm will give you general info and

www.qsa.qld.edu.au/yrs11_12/assessment/os/ more specific.

www.britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93 is a forum for teenagers where someone who’s actually moved at 16 may be able to give you advice... if you find out let me know! - my daughter is in the same position - 16 in april - she doesn't want to go back to school in Oz but I can't find out where she can get the necessary for university entrance.

Good Luck

:D

Guest ABCDiamond

In QLD, from 1 January 2006 the minimum school leaving age will be raised from 15 to 16 years or when a student has completed Year 10.

However, most schools if not all, have the years 11 and 12 as optional, which MAY be the equivalent to as Colleges ?

It does look like people finish year 12 and then go on to Uni. Link for: Year12 Transition To Higher Education

I am aware that many schools are actually called colleges, even though they cover Pre-school to year 12. This leads me to think that "colleges" as known in the UK, may not be available here, but may just be an extension provided by various schools.

There are TAFE programs available http://www.tafe.qld.gov.au/

What area of QLD are you heading for, and what subjects are you looking at ?

What area of QLD are you heading for, and what subjects are you looking at ?

Sorry to hijack your thread Laura.. Thanks to ABCDiamond for help as ever.

My daughter is undecided but has considered Marine Biology.. University Queensland had entry requirements as 'OP score in 2006: 12/75..? (in UK she needs maths, biology, chemistry A level).. not sure if she could gain an 'OP' by doing just y12 or weather she'd have to drop back and do year11 again.

We're hoping to settle in buderim/alex headland area - hopefully mountaincreek catchment as we've 3 at primary school and 1 y9 and heard good reports about the school.

Cheers.

Guest ABCDiamond
University Queensland had entry requirements as 'OP score in 2006: 12/75..? (in UK she needs maths, biology, chemistry A level).. not sure if she could gain an 'OP' by doing just y12 or weather she'd have to drop back and do year11 again.
I don't know much about these OP scores myself yet, my daughter is only 9, so a litle way to go before I need to check it thouroughly :)

However, some info at: http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/te/faqs/ops.html

One quote says: "However, if a student has completed equivalent senior studies interstate or overseas, they are given a concessional number of units of credit for the studies completed elsewhere so that they have the required 20 units of credit to be eligible for an OP"

Another:

Q: What is an Overall Position (OP) and what is it used for?

A: Overall Positions, or OPs, provide a statewide rank order of students (on a 1 to 25 scale, 1 being the highest) based on students’ achievement in Authority subjects studied for the Queensland Senior Certificate. A student’s OP shows how well that student has performed in their senior studies when compared with the performances of all other OP-eligible students in Queensland.

Guest jonathan

If we Decide To Go.. I really And I Mean Really Do not wanna go back to high school.. ABCdiamond.. i should be doing art in college and ive no idea what area of QLD.

i just need general info really

thanks

Laura x

Guest ABCDiamond

All I can locate quickly are private colleges such as the A. I.C. College of Art on the Gold Coast.

http://www.aicca.com.au/

It may be worth checking what TAFE have to offer in that line.

Another link is: McGregor Schools - http://www.usq.edu.au/mcgregor/eta.htm & http://www.usq.edu.au/mcgregor/staff.htm

I would suggest contacting these, and ask them for assistance on what options you may have. They may have the answers you need, for your circumstances.

Good luck

Archived