SMP Queensland!

paulswin

I'm guessing its not looking good for floor finishers in Queensland I asked if floor finishers are not on the SMP list can I apply for an off list nomination this is the reply I got! :arghh:

Hi

Unfortunately you occupation is not eligible for off-list nomination.

Regards

Jacob Reinders

Principal Migration Consultant

Skilled and Business Migration

Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation

PO Box 15168 City East, Brisbane, Qld, 4002

(Level 8, 111 George Street, Brisbane, 4000)

Ph. +61 7 3405 6114

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Paulswin

In about June 2009, QLD suddenly published a new SS list and removed all tradies except Welders from the list.

One of the RMAs (Tony Coates) said that he had asked why and Jacob Reinders had replies that the construction industry in QLD had gone into an economic recession which was expected to last for quite a while. At the end of July 2009 QLD then published yet another SS list in which they removed Welders as well.

Remember that Jacob Reinders only works for the State Government of QLD. He does not necessarily agree with what they claim or what they require him to do. However since he works for them he is required to toe their political line regardless of anything he might think about QLD's economy personally.

QLD have long published their own policy about off-list nominations for SS.

Off-list nominations

If you read what QLD say about off-list nominations, it was predictable that they would reject a Floor Finisher, hon.

The Federal Government are adamant that from now on, skilled GSM visa holders will be encouraged to be State sponsored, which will (the Government hopes) encourage them to go and settle in the sponsoring State and preferably they will work in their nominated occupation once they reach the sponsoring State. This is why they have promoted the idea of the SMPs and they insist that the States may not sponsor more applicants for the XYZ Occupation than that State can prove that it needs in the relevant Migration Programme Year. Therefore geographically it is no longer a matter of where you want to go but a matter of your going to wherever the Aussie Government is prepared to allow you to go to once you move to Oz.

Right. So if QLD has closed its doors on you, what about the remaining 7 States/Territories? Please forget about NSW since they do not offer sc 176 sponsorship to tradies and I am not sure whether they even sponsor tradies to go to Regional NSW on the sc 475 visa. That leaves 6 others to choose from.

Of the remaining 6, which ones are still entertaining new applications for SS? SA and the ACT both are. I am not sure about VIC. The remaining 3 are not accepting new SS applications at the moment. The list of links to all of them is below:

State and Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Were you planning to head for QLD because you want to join close family members in QLD? I ask because although the present Federal Government doesn't give two hoots to the notion of re-uniting the members of a family via Immigration of the remaining family members, if the new family member is able to move to Oz at all then a surprising amount becomes possible once s/he is in Oz. The main thing is to get the new family member into Oz in the first place, I reckon.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill its all soooo confusing!!! My hubby has 2 sisters in Perth thats where we really want to go but not sure whether we're gonna be on the SMP list!! Floor finisher is in category 4 thats why we cant go through family sponsorship if we were in cat 3 then we could do it! To be honest WA is our first choice but getting to the point where anywhere in Oz will be great :)

Archived