Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Guest Catnoehughes

Hi All,

Got referred to this site from Perth Poms :)

I'm sure the answer to my question lies somewhere within the 70pages associated with this thread but I'll be honest and admit I'm just to impatient to read through them all :laugh:

I'm importing my car from Ireland and its due to arrive in Perth (port of Fremantle) on 19th Feb. The company I used in Ireland only offered port-to-port service on Ro-ro so once it lands I've to arrange everything on this end.

My question is what do I need to do?

I've contacted customs brokers for quotes for clearance, quarantine inspections, wharf fee's, valuation processing etc... Also have the details for the inspection for registration to get the licence plates.

Are there any other steps I'm missing?

Also what happens to the car once it lands? ie: does it get stored in the port or can I take it once the GST and fee's etc are paid?

Thanks

Cat

Guest eileen28

hi just seen you shipped from ireland, im looking into shipping vehicle from ireland to perth also if you dont mind could you give me name of company and what cost am i looking at thanks eileen

Hi All,

I'm sure the answer to my question lies somewhere within the 70pages associated with this thread but I'll be honest and admit I'm just to impatient to read through them all :laugh:

I'm importing my car from Ireland and its due to arrive in Perth (port of Fremantle) on 19th Feb. The company I used in Ireland only offered port-to-port service on Ro-ro so once it lands I've to arrange everything on this end.

I've contacted customs brokers for quotes for clearance, quarantine inspections, wharf fee's, valuation processing etc... Also have the details for the inspection for registration to get the licence plates.

Also what happens to the car once it lands? ie: does it get stored in the port or can I take it once the GST and fee's etc are paid?

Thanks

Cat

Amazing thread here.

Very interested to see if it was worthy to ship a Rover Mini Cooper RSP 1990 (classic) across to Melbourne. I'm heading there asap on a Partner (subclass 309) visa and it pains me to leave her behind. Value here is approx £2500-3000. Mods are 10" wheels and half roll cage but that's all now (all the meaty parts that made her race worthy fell off or died!). I know this is more of a love export but having only seen a small collection of minis during my 2 trips that way and a brief check on the costs for Leyland Minis looks like they hold value ok.

Also are there any recommend RO-RO/container services?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Catnoehughes
hi just seen you shipped from ireland, im looking into shipping vehicle from ireland to perth also if you dont mind could you give me name of company and what cost am i looking at thanks eileen

Hi Eileen,

I used Careline shipping and they cost about 2100euro going ro-ro. The car has yet to land so hopefully it'll be ok but I also used Careline for shipping my personal effects and found their service was great (hence using them for the car too).

Cat

Guest eileen28

hi thanks for that will give them a try think they have an office in limerick will check it out thanks again

Hi Eileen,

I used Careline shipping and they cost about 2100euro going ro-ro. The car has yet to land so hopefully it'll be ok but I also used Careline for shipping my personal effects and found their service was great (hence using them for the car too).

Cat

Guest eileen28

hi again is that price including everything ? if not what cost apporx do you know will i have to pay on top of shipping fee, not too manyshipping cars from ireland!!

Hi All,

Thanks

Cat

Guest eileen28

hi yeah i know it dont go directly, i could arrange it to southhampton if need be

If it's being sent via RORO, there are none that run direct from Ireland - it would be transported/trans-shipped across to Southampton and go on a boat from there.

iron Chef - I hope you can assist us in our vito dualiner and feasibility to bring it with us to Perth. We have a 40ft container, but I've tried to gain info on the fees at dockside including all small charges to be paid. Our container people just take it to the Perth removals company ready for customs inspection. Our van was bought by my company 3 years ago for £16k, I had it valued for £7k in uk. The van is driven by myself only and paid in full. I want to bring on personal import but the van is registered in my business name but insurance in my name. The registered address for the van is our home address. Do you think I will get initial permission as I have not personnaly owned the vehicle for 12 months, even though my wife and I own the business?

We move to Perth either may or aug this year

Look forward in hearing from you.

hi just wondering, i'm arriving on 457 visa in the summer, once i get my car cleared can i then sell it or do i have to be resident for a while?

Once it's here, you can sell it whenever you like.

hi iron chef did you get my private message regarding shipping? eileen

I did, just working on it now (had internet connection problems last night, and couldn't convert your EUR to GBP to give you a reply!)

iron Chef - I hope you can assist us in our vito dualiner and feasibility to bring it with us to Perth. We have a 40ft container, but I've tried to gain info on the fees at dockside including all small charges to be paid. Our container people just take it to the Perth removals company ready for customs inspection. Our van was bought by my company 3 years ago for £16k, I had it valued for £7k in uk. The van is driven by myself only and paid in full. I want to bring on personal import but the van is registered in my business name but insurance in my name. The registered address for the van is our home address. Do you think I will get initial permission as I have not personnaly owned the vehicle for 12 months, even though my wife and I own the business?

We move to Perth either may or aug this year

Look forward in hearing from you.

To work in reverse, as long as you can prove your connection to the business, there's no reason why you can't include the time registered under the business as part of your 12 month qualifying period. You should be fine with it, I reckon.

In terms of additional costs for clearance, the only thing you'd want would be a valuation for the car (allow $400 for that), aside from that, the rest of the charges would be the same as what you're paying for the container anyway.

Guest SandyBeattie

Hi Iron Chef,

ive got a BMW 525d M sport (3 Ltr) 57 plate cost me £23000 top of the range, would you suggest maybe bring it or sell it. This is my baby but if its got to go so be it???

Your feedback will be most grateful, cheers again.

Thanks for info, I noticed on previous posts, issues with isofix child seats? Are all cars/ vans being pulled for this? we have a second row of seats that we use, the van is 2007. We would be interested in using your services but need a clear set of costs by you and charges from customs?

Thanks

There's no issue with having isofix fittments on the car but you need to get child restraint anchors fitted as compulsory. Isofix on their own is not sufficient to pass the safety requirements for vehicles. There's a whole argument about which is safer but currently that's the way it is.

Hi Iron Chef, I have two BMW E30 M3's, one i have owned for 13 years and the other was purchased just over two years ago. Both are left hand drive, one is fully race prepared. We are just in th process of applying for a 176 visa, what are the likely problems I will face importing these?

Thanks,

Paul

Guest Big Steve
Hi Iron Chef, I have two BMW E30 M3's, one i have owned for 13 years and the other was purchased just over two years ago. Both are left hand drive, one is fully race prepared. We are just in th process of applying for a 176 visa, what are the likely problems I will face importing these?

Thanks,

Paul

The fact they are newer than 1989 and left hand drive would be the biggest issue. You need to contact the Transport authority of the specific state you wish to import them to to see if they accept LHD. WA will not, but you might be able to get the race prepped version imported, but not made road legal. i.e. use it for racing. If you're just applying for 176 you might be 12 months off getting/moving. Perhaps buy another car (even an M3) - in RHD?

Thanks Big Steve, They are both pre 1989, the original E30 M3! We have been told that WA is the only part of Oz we can import them to! We know we are a long way off having to worry too much about this, but these are equivelant to having Children, cannot leave without them, and want to know the issues involved with importing them before we have spent ££'s on visas.

Cheers,

Paul

I've done some googling on this, at the base if my second row of seat I have 4 or 5 what looks like anchor points, they are in line with the seats on the floor, I dont know if you can add photo's here would this be the solution? There is no route throw the base of the seats.

Any help will be appreciated

Another question for more help!

My van has only mph on the physical dial however in the middle where my digital temp gauge is and clock and mileage it shows How fast in K per hour. Again would this fill the requirements ?

Thanks

Thanks for info, I noticed on previous posts, issues with isofix child seats? Are all cars/ vans being pulled for this? we have a second row of seats that we use, the van is 2007. We would be interested in using your services but need a clear set of costs by you and charges from customs?

Thanks

See below :) Send me an email via the website in my sig and I'll send you through a quote.

There's no issue with having isofix fittments on the car but you need to get child restraint anchors fitted as compulsory. Isofix on their own is not sufficient to pass the safety requirements for vehicles. There's a whole argument about which is safer but currently that's the way it is.

The Federal govt is in the process of harmonising Australian Design Rules with EU regs, but is has taken a LONG time, now up to 4-5 years...one day ISOFIX will be fine...one day...

Thanks,

Paul

Regulations on whether or not cars can be registered LHD vary from state to state. All states allow registration for vehicles 30 years and older, and WA is the best because they allow LHD registration for 15 years and older, which should cover your E30s without too much trouble. SA is a joke in this regard I have to say, I'm working with the Opposition to make sweeping changes to the regs here, presuming they get into power in 2013.

The fact they are newer than 1989 and left hand drive would be the biggest issue. You need to contact the Transport authority of the specific state you wish to import them to to see if they accept LHD. WA will not, but you might be able to get the race prepped version imported, but not made road legal. i.e. use it for racing. If you're just applying for 176 you might be 12 months off getting/moving. Perhaps buy another car (even an M3) - in RHD?

See above.

Thanks Big Steve, They are both pre 1989, the original E30 M3! We have been told that WA is the only part of Oz we can import them to! We know we are a long way off having to worry too much about this, but these are equivelant to having Children, cannot leave without them, and want to know the issues involved with importing them before we have spent ££'s on visas.

Cheers,

Paul

If you're heading to WA, you'll be fine. Even if you're not, remember that importation and registration are two different processes. You'll be no problems importing them here, but if you're anywhere other than WA, you'll have to hold on to them for a few years before you can register them (or just convert them to RHD using a wreck from a local 3-series).

I've done some googling on this, at the base if my second row of seat I have 4 or 5 what looks like anchor points, they are in line with the seats on the floor, I dont know if you can add photo's here would this be the solution? There is no route throw the base of the seats.

Any help will be appreciated

That sounds like you might be the right thing, but put some pics up if you can. A child seat would be tethered from the top of the seat, not the bottom, so there doesn't need to be a route through the seat to get to it.

Another question for more help!

My van has only mph on the physical dial however in the middle where my digital temp gauge is and clock and mileage it shows How fast in K per hour. Again would this fill the requirements ?

Thanks

Possibly, although it varies from state to state, and whether or not the inspector is having a good or bad day. It's probably worth pricing a km/h cluster before you leave and getting it sorted, just to be on the safe side - as in the side that doesn't actually do 60mph in a 60km/h zone because you're accidentally looking at the dials ;)

The Federal govt is in the process of harmonising Australian Design Rules with EU regs, but is has taken a LONG time, now up to 4-5 years...one day ISOFIX will be fine...one day...

Hi Iron Chef

To relay our own experiance, our car was passed with just the ISOFIX child seat anchors. No additional child seat anchor points were required. Maybe the regulations are moving, ..... or maybe the inspector was having a good day :)

K

Iron Chef

send you a email for costs etc, i have attached a couple of photo's, one is for the child anchour points and the second is about the dial / digital Km/ph? I hope this explains, don't need the agrivation of tring to get a new speed dash.

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

Hello Iron Chef,

First, let me say how fantastic this thread is and how grateful I am for the valuable information you offer.

I am a dual Australian/UK citizen living in London. I have been living here for the last 10.5 years after relocating from Sydney. My wife and I are looking to migrate back to Sydney in about 2 years time and I am thinking of buying a new car in the next month or two to eventually ship to Australia when we move. We currently own a 3 year old Mini Cooper which we are likely to sell when we move. The car I am looking at is a new Audi TT 2.0 TFSI (petrol) auto quattro coupe. Brand new I think the cost will be something like £33,000. I know the equivalent car sells for something like $85k - 90k so based on the current GBP/AUD (circa 1.48) exchange rate, the car is quite a bit cheaper in the UK.

My question are:

1. Do you think its worth bringing over such a car to Sydney?

2. Roughly what would be the likely costs + GST/stamp duty (roughly)?

3. Will these costs and tax when added to the original cost of the Audi TT make it more expensive than the Australian price guide for the same car above (you can assume the same exchange rate as per above)

4. Lastly, does it matter that we will own both the Mini and Audi for the next two years before the Audi is shipped?

Thanks a million in advance for any help you can offer!

Kind regards