To GO OR NOT TO GO.

Nick and sez

The more i read and learn about costs of living in OZ, mainly

WA the more i am now waining from the idea..

There are so many threads on here about the price of food etc, JESUS is Australia really worth all the hassle and money of trying to migrate to have a great house etc but be up to you eyes in debt and stuff like that..

After one year i have only got my Vetassess pass to show for it all untill the SMP comes out.. Then with the dollar so strong the visa is going to cost more now...

Jesus im not having a moan but is it worth all the money and crap in the end... My mind says yes for my young kids as the weather here is crap 4 months of the year but im going to have to go out onto Apprentice wages as a general plumber and only on one income will the dream turn into a nightmare..

I understand that many people on here will say it is worth it..

Is that because you managed to get there before the dollar was so strong and that the house prices hadnt gone through the roof..

There must be so many of us on here that are in my boat.. as everyday the currency rate is crap the dream gets smaller and smaller...

Is the OZ the Place, is it worth it, most say yes some say no..

Just had to blow some steam...:jimlad:

Cheers NICK..

It must be very confusing.

I guess its hard to live anywhere these days on one income that is why so many women work, they say its the career all that stuff but really a lot would like to stay home and play tennis two mornings a week at the local club. Tennis clubs do not cost an arm and a leg here.

You should take notice of all information but you should also check it out and see how it relates to your family. The major supermarkets have online stores where you can check prices, that is Coles and Woolworths. Realestate.com.au has rentals that you can compare.

Also you can look at Seek the employment site and get an idea of the wage you will be earning.

Also you want to go to Perth but there are other places to live in Australia and I like Perth, my cousins live there and love it but I prefer the east coast as its easier to get around to other places. So do not put all the eggs in one basket have a look at other places to live. Of course you may have family in Perth or friends but then they should be able to assist you.

People who are disillusioned have to let off steam but that does not mean their circumstances are everyone's. Some people do not want to make a compromise and they find that migrating is not for them they like their UK routine.

If family is very important to either you or your oh then you should really consider how you would feel not being able to see them. Perhaps give it a trial. Do not see them for a couple of months, only make contact by skype or phone because that is what it will be like when you are in Australia.

So there are many ways you can find out if you are going to like it. Your children will like it and they will grow up to be Aussies like mine and they probably will not be that bothered about UK until they become old, old seems to bring out the having to know about our roots stuff.

If you have a really good well paying job, a nice home and get a holiday every year you are winning wherever you live. You cannot eat weather.

fella took me an the wife 3 years to get visa , now our 2 boys aged 13 and 16 say they want to live in Scotland. Have you been to oz yet? mate if the children are young then why know give it a try? mine have their own minds now , their no young for long. your a plumber ina so you will never struggle for a job fit ever country you live in , best o luck fella. stevie

Good Replies, i want the aussie lifestyle as i know it will be great for my two daughters, thats really the main thing, my OH will work as soon as she can...

I think my main worry is that of finally getting to OZ, and thinking jesus this is expensive or we cant do that etc..

Its mainly the money side of things not working out...

Here in England i earn good money etc but i want the country,weather all and most of what Australia has to offer,

I want to do it so does my other half, but as its all taking so long now and costing more im waying up with my age etc is it the right thing to do.

I mean our interest rates are nothing compared to yours, although your wages are higher, for tradies like me who leave the UK as general plumbers etc, we cant just walk into a plumbing or electricians job on Oz untill we have gone back to TAFE to get licensed etc etc..

so i suppose what im getting at is DO the Pros really outway the CONS of migrating....

I keep chewing the fat and indecision creeps in...

I wish we had done this sooner or that the visa process had not been put on hold..

Cheers Nick.

Hi Nick, As you can see from my status we have been and returned! I personally would never say not go if you have the chance, But if you are having doubts now, think very carefully before you uproot the family and go to the unknown, as this will weigh heavily on your mind once there!

Yes Australia can seem expensive in many ways compared to the uk, and sometimes this can be very difficult to get your head around, But if you are in deed working in Australia/have a job to go straight to, i think this helps you settle into the cost of living far easier as you are earning a wage on $ not £ so therefor you will not find yourself comparing as much, If you will be seeking work once there, you may find it much harder to adapt and not convert the pennies, especially if you are finding yourself eating into all your savings whilst looking for work, These are just my thoughts after being there and living day to day with no wage coming in!

Dawn

Guest chris955

It's not a decision anyone else can make for you of course, as Joanne said it depends exactly what you want. It's impossible to say if you, your spouse or kids will love it, only time will tell. There is no getting away from the fact that it is expensive here, much more so than a few years ago as many are finding out BUT the country has lots to offer and it just depends what you want.

Good luck either way.

fella took me an the wife 3 years to get visa , now our 2 boys aged 13 and 16 say they want to live in Scotland. Have you been to oz yet? mate if the children are young then why know give it a try? mine have their own minds now , their no young for long. your a plumber ina so you will never struggle for a job fit ever country you live in , best o luck fella. stevie

:wink:Hi Mate, luckily my two girls are 6 and 3, yep mate was in QLZ in 2003 on the Whitsundays and Goldcoast....

Bloody loved in hence now trying to go for it.... Its just as its taking so bloody long good offers for work,houses are coming in here...

so do you take what is good here or go for it over there...

i want to go for it but as having to be an apprentice again the wages are **** compared to the cost of living...:arghh:

The bloody smp better come out for WA soon or i think the OH will chuck the Towel in...

Cheers Nick.

:wink:Hi Mate, luckily my two girls are 6 and 3, yep mate was in QLZ in 2003 on the Whitsundays and Goldcoast....

Bloody loved in hence now trying to go for it.... Its just as its taking so bloody long good offers for work,houses are coming in here...

so do you take what is good here or go for it over there...

i want to go for it but as having to be an apprentice again the wages are **** compared to the cost of living...:arghh:

The bloody smp better come out for WA soon or i think the OH will chuck the Towel in...

Cheers Nick.[/quotei rekon if you dina try it you will regret it fella but hey its up to you :hug:stevie

Archived