Can I use my Aussie TV?

Guest punky pom

Guest punky pom

Hi there, Just Out of interest can any one tell me if we will be able to use our Australian Telly in the UK. I know when we wre moving here we had to sell our TV in the UK as it wasnt compatible with here. Also does anyone know if we would be better to buy a dishwasher here before we leave or in the UK? Are they cheaper here or over there?:goofy:

The sound and picture carriers are separated by different frequencies in Australia compared to the UK. This means that you'll be able to tune in either sound or picture but not both.

The simplest way to make it work is to connect an external Freeview box (use a SCART if the tv has one, otherwise you'll have to get a SCART-Phono convertor lead). The Freeview box will do all the tuning and reception for you and the tv becomes a big monitor.

A reasonable Freeview box can be bought from somewhere like Tesco for about £20. If you want HD then these boxes cost about £100 and the tv will need an HDMI socket.

Saying that you can also use sky or virgin to connect to tv, just watch all channels through the sky channel! We have shipped over our Australian tv, as friends that made the move a year ago and returned did the same, and it works just fine!

Also regarding buying new or ship over dishwasher etc, check out currys or comet electricals uk great offers to be had! All the best, John

Guest punky pom

Thanks for your reply and advice looks like we will do the same then and take our TV. Will check out the Currys website too.:biggrin:

Guest wecantski

hey we were wondering the same but have decided to sell our tele and buy one when we get back.

main reasons being:

-how cheap they are in england (Approx $620 AUD for a 42" LG, samsung or similiar)

- cost/weight and room they take up in our furniture container may not make it viable

- might get broken in transit

- have to wait 3 months for a tele to arrive...

just our reasoning anyway :)

hey we were wondering the same but have decided to sell our tele and buy one when we get back.

main reasons being:

-how cheap they are in england (Approx $620 AUD for a 42" LG, samsung or similiar)

- cost/weight and room they take up in our furniture container may not make it viable

- might get broken in transit

- have to wait 3 months for a tele to arrive...

just our reasoning anyway :)

some really good prices around at the moment as i say check out some of the uk web sites,

comet, currys, tj hughes, also argos, Dixons are offering 42" for £399

Guest punky pom

I never thought of all that but you are right. We have just received quotes for shipping our stuff back and we are going to have to get rid of some of our stuff I think. Just out of interest does anyone know how much a 3 piece suite costs roughly. Thanks

I never thought of all that but you are right. We have just received quotes for shipping our stuff back and we are going to have to get rid of some of our stuff I think. Just out of interest does anyone know how much a 3 piece suite costs roughly. Thanks

We have just bought a new suite and its a 4 seater settee & a 3 seater settee, we paid 2,400 GBP (aussy laptop and cant find a pound sign button). This is a middle of the road price, could have got for much less but in the end always say get what you pay for. If you want to get something to see you over for a while till you get back on your feet, after all moving back isnt cheap, you can pick up some great bargins on Gum Tree here in the UK, think most areas have there own Gum Tree site.

Lorna

ps we brought our Oz telly back with us and we just play it through sky and its fine. As for dishwasher I would buy from here then you have a guarantee, dont know if the guarantee would be trasferrable if you bought in Oz, sure someone will know though.

Archived