Earlwood?

dorsetemma

Hi Everyone

We are moving over in a few weeks and are looking to rent in an affordable family friendly suburb which is easily commutable to Bondi Junction. We are working a bit blind as before we have only ever lived / worked on the Northern Beaches. However, we have seen a few nice places around Earlwood. Does anyone know anything about it (or the surrounding suburbs of Summer Hill, Marrickville, etc). Is it a good area? Is it too close to the airport? Any info (or alternative suggestions) would be much appreciated :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone

We are moving over in a few weeks and are looking to rent in an affordable family friendly suburb which is easily commutable to Bondi Junction. We are working a bit blind as before we have only ever lived / worked on the Northern Beaches. However, we have seen a few nice places around Earlwood. Does anyone know anything about it (or the surrounding suburbs of Summer Hill, Marrickville, etc). Is it a good area? Is it too close to the airport? Any info (or alternative suggestions) would be much appreciated :smile:

Hi Emma,

We are also moving out there in November my husband will be working in Randwick, and the areas we are considering at the moment are Earlwood, Beverly Hills, Summer Hill and Bexley so would be very interested to hear what other people have to say, i have read a few reviews and they seem to be nice family friendly areas with good schools etc but other people opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheryl.

Hi Cheryl

Thanks for your message. I haven't heard anything more on this site - I'm guessing no one knows much about Earlwood! We are going to be out there next week and house hunting in all of the areas you mentioned. Let me know if you would like me to let you know how we get on.

Cheers

Emma

Guest wenders411

Hi there, all i can tell you is Summer Hill looks like a nice area, i have only driven through it a few times though, couldnt tell you about shops, restaurants etc.

Marrickville could possibly be quite noisey from the planes as its right under the flight path. I know a lot of planes come in over Leichhardt and Petersham and Marrickville to the airport. I know the planes can be quite noisey from Leichhardt so i can only image they would be even louder in Marrickville as planes would be lower?

I do know people who love living in Marrickville, there are some good restaurants and shops. You would have to hear the plane noise yourself once you are there and decide if its tolerable for you.

Hi there, all i can tell you is Summer Hill looks like a nice area, i have only driven through it a few times though, couldnt tell you about shops, restaurants etc.

Marrickville could possibly be quite noisey from the planes as its right under the flight path. I know a lot of planes come in over Leichhardt and Petersham and Marrickville to the airport. I know the planes can be quite noisey from Leichhardt so i can only image they would be even louder in Marrickville as planes would be lower?

I do know people who love living in Marrickville, there are some good restaurants and shops. You would have to hear the plane noise yourself once you are there and decide if its tolerable for you.

Hi there,

Thanks very much for that, i was doing a little research online yesterday and someone had mentioned that we would very much be in the minority in Summer Hill, im happy to live in a multiculural area but not sure if i would want to be in an area where there are very few other english speakers,They had also said that it was really dirty and run down, So your post has reassured me a bit, will be much easier once we actually get there, cheryl.

Guest wenders411

I've just looked on the map where Earlwood is! I didnt know for sure before. I'd say Earlwood wouldn't have any noise from the airport because it is well off to the side of the flight path.

I used to live in Hurlstone Park which seemed to be a very Greek area. Think you had to be able to speak greek to work in my doctors there! There was no nice areas of shops or cafes, and we felt a bit out of it there! Our neighbours there had come from Marickville and they couldnt wait to return, they really missed living in Marrickville.

Id say deffinately try Leichhardt when you arrive. It is a really lovely Italian area with lots of nice shops and cafes on Norton Street. The Italian Forum is fab. There is a good library down there. (Norton Street is right under the flight path) But you do get used to it!

Have you been using Google Maps street view? I find thats been really helping me look at different areas because it lets you walk down the streets and look around!

Leichhardt has no Train station, that is the only down side, but it has busses what seems like every 3 minutes into the city at rush hours! There is also a bus ive seen that goes to Bondi from Norton Street.

Have you tried any areas on the beach side, like Marouba, Eastgardens or Coogee? I think they are easy to get to from Bondi Junction.

Hope this helps, x

Archived