frankston

yvonneandandy

Guest THE JONEZYS

Frankston South is nice. The areas around Humphrys Rd as it borders Mt Eliza.

Olivers Hill has some beautiful houses with fantastic views but you are looking at around a million $ + for bay views. The rest of Frankston, well its just too full of the types of things I came here to get my kids away from........junkies and dealers serving up in the street.

Lesley

Guest kdal

Hi Andy & Yvonne

Unfortunately I was not blessed to see the lovely side of Frankston that Leslie mentions in her post. We went to the shops there (that are not bad) but waiting for a train to take us into the CBD was real scary, lots of thugs hanging about and you really did feel quite scared. What we see of Frankston was old and grubby looking, although apparently the authorities are supposed to be spending alot of money on the area soon.

Gd luck

Guest jonseywife

Hi Andy & Yvonne

Looks like Frankston is not the best place to settle :no:!!!!!!!!!!!! The houses are so much cheaper there, so that speaks for itself I think !

Like Lesley suggests try Frankston South, Mornington or Mount Martha................ a bit further out but well worth it, for peice of mind and safety.

Try this link too, it tells you more :

Mornington information & attractions - Travel Victoria: accommodation & visitor guide

Good luck

Guest kdal
thanks for your reply didnt know things were that bad overthere

scaryyyyy

Sorry don't let me put you of, it's like here you have your good areas and you not so good areas and what one person may think is good another may not :wacko:

Now your really confused:err:

Guest thekeg95

15 minutes in any direction out of Frankston and you'll love it but Frankston it's self is not so great. If you opt for west you may need a house boat but that could be fun to.

STEVE

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ratupadrainpipe

hello, just thought i,de put my two bobs worth in, we are just up the road from frankston in mt eliza, my work is based in frankston but i work all over the peninsula from st kilda up to dromana and rosebud and across to hastings and koowee roop , i visit most of these places every week and go to all types of neighbourhoods, personaly i think frankston gets a bad press , yes there are some rougher areas like north frankston, the pines or parts of dandenong but you get these areas almost every where in the world, from what i,ve seen in the past three years we have been here the crime is nothing like as bad as the uk, sure some bad things happen to unfortunate people but no where is crime free, i have no worries about shopping or allowing my family to visit frankston centre, the police have a very high clean up rate for most crimes, as i understand it 10% of the people commit 90% of the crimes as i said before i often work in so called rough areas but have never had any problems or felt that myself or vehicle were threatend, one thing i have noticed though is that when a crime or such happens in a more affluent area it is quickly forgoton and not talked about, people like to think of their areas as better than others and its easy to point the finger , much of frankston and surrounds has much to offer, great shopping, good cinema and restraunts , the beach and pier are great in summer and have much to offer in the way of a day out, frankston is also the end of the railway line up this side of the coast and so many people opt to drive to frankston , leave their cars nearby and commute into the city, my best advice would be to come for a look , if you like it then look around the surrounding suberbs for one that fits your needs , but always remember that even if you pay through the nose to live in a so called good area you may still end up with difficult neighbours , do your research on the ground and take your best bet, sorry if i,ve gone on for a bit and i don,t want to offend anyone i just think frankston is a regular working town which gets a bad press from some people who like to live in their ivory towers and look down at it, good luck with every thing and if anybody needs any general info on things , i,de be pleased to help, acer.

thanks acer for your reply

yes we understand people veiw things and places with differant perspectives

we have been looking at different areas, narre warren, frankston, carrum and berwick.

so far we have liked the look of berwick, but still have an open mind, we will be staying in a holiday lodge when we arrive in aus, so we can reky these areas, ( can see things better on the ground , so to speak)

we are trying to satisfy all our families needs , us in 40s, teenage son 17, daughter 11 and our parents (retired). trying to satisfy all these needs is doing our heads in, but i suppose its the same for all of us emigrating

thanks very much and if you have any further comments on suggested areas please let us know

andy and yvonne

Guest THE JONEZYS

We had the same dilema as you.............teenage boys and an 8 yo and plenty of work for Paul, all of these factors had to be taken into account.

When we first arrived we were set on Berwick but the more times we drove down to the peninsula, the more we fell in love with it.

The deciding factor was Main St' Mornington!! We let the boys have a night out down there and they were hooked and didn't want to live anywhere else.

As others have said, we all come here for different reasons and looking for different things.

Once you are here, find yourself a base, get a car and just drive around the different places on your list, sit and have a coffee or a glass of wine and watch the world go by. Try and do this day and evening time and weekends/weekdays. It helped us make a decision but it wasn't easy!!

Good luck and if you head down Mornington way once you are here, give us a shout and we will give you a guided tour.

Lesley

Guest ratupadrainpipe

hello again, hope i didn't offend anyone with my post, it was only my take on things, much of east victoria has loads to offer and every thing is only a car drve away,i think we are realy spoilt on the peninsiula, we have great beaches , fantastic wineries good weather ( most of the year),also there is a realy good cafe culture where people just sit, drink coffee and chat , i agree with the jonzys mornington/mt martha are brill places to live and you couldn't want more , good luck, , steve.

Guest THE JONEZYS
hi lesley

thanks for your reply, would love to give you a shout when down under, guided tour..?????

more like a beer or wine and a good natter

andy

Who's been talking...................Sally Jones, have you been telling people that I am partial to the odd tiple!!!

Any way a glass of wine and a chinwag sounds good to me.

Lesley

Guest Jo & Lo

Hi Andy and Yvonne

We are also looking at similar areas (three kids 8,11 &12) and at somewhere to stay while we do a reky. Where are you staying and has anyone else have any suggestions?

Jo &Lo

Guest blondies

We love Frankston!!!!!

We live in Frankston South and I work in Frankston its really an ok place to live and bring up kids....... don't believe the hype

Donna

Guest jonseywife

Who's been talking...................Sally Jones, have you been telling people that I am partial to the odd tiple!!!

Any way a glass of wine and a chinwag sounds good to me.

Lesley

I never said anything Lesley about your drink problem, honest :no: ................ anyway we can smell the fumes from here !!!!!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I'm looking forward to getting to Frankston South/Mornington and having a coffee (I mean wine & a good old chinwag !!!)

See you all soon

Sally-ann :yes:

• 7 months later...

Any and Yvonne hello if you're still around:wubclub:

Just wondered where you ended up whether it was Frankston or Berwick?

We love the look of Frankston and think that the fact its not just a suburb is great as there is more to do and its right on the beach. We think that it too has got a bad rep due to its past. (Aparantly Ferntree GUlly has never really shaken off it hippy druggy past but its not a bad place to live either as it is not a haven for hippies any longer).

Plus Frankston house prices have gone up and it looks like its just as pricey as anywhere else so it seems that others are thinking that it cant be that bad either.

Anyway if you or anyone else is living there now can you enlighten me as to whether the bad crime area stories are a thing of the past or not.

Thanks and i hope wherever you are things are great for you in Oz!!

Guest Invisible Fish
We love Frankston!!!!!

We live in Frankston South and I work in Frankston its really an ok place to live and bring up kids....... don't believe the hype

Donna

Ditto Donna,

We love living in Frankston South. Frankston town centre is great..lots of shops, good cinema complex, the beach is fantastic and the the revamped Waterfront looks great. Can't wait for the new boardwalk to be finished.

Our boys (14 and 16) go into town most weekends and I have no concerns about them being there. Have to say, I wouldn't let the go at night, but then I'd say that about any town/city.

Just because North Frankston is a bit dodgy, it doesn't mean that the rest is.

Fly the Frankston Flag!!

• 8 months later...
Guest lisa_b52

Hi there,

We are in exactly the same situation and will be flying to oz 12th Jan. We have also decided on the Frankston area and haven't yet changed our minds. It seems to me that it has everything a family could want. South Frankston sounds like the best bet or Langwarrin and Ballam Park.

Might see you in Jan............ Good luck with your move.

Lisa

Guest blondies

:emoticon-signxmas:Good luck with your move, you will hopefully be arriving to some nice weather in Jan. We have been in Frankston South for almost 2 years now. It ain't bad plenty going on here. Just depends what your looking for and everyone is different.

Hi there,

We are in exactly the same situation and will be flying to oz 12th Jan. We have also decided on the Frankston area and haven't yet changed our minds. It seems to me that it has everything a family could want. South Frankston sounds like the best bet or Langwarrin and Ballam Park.

Might see you in Jan............ Good luck with your move.

Lisa

Guest hazel and dave

Hi,

We went househunting in the Melbourne area last August and unfortunately we had the same feeling about Frankston as yourself. How wrong we were... a 'friend' kept saying 'you don't want to live there' and 'it's rough as... down there, don't bother' his reaction made us think rather perversely 'it can't be that bad, let's have a look'. I'm glad we did becasue we found a lovely house just outside Frankston, in Langwarrin, and it is lovely; peaceful, quiet, good community AND our money went A LOT further due to people's prejudices. Just give the area a try - what have you got to lose? Incidentally, we found some the cente of berwick lovely, but thought that some of th newer area lokied very sterile and characterless.

Archived