Procedures for moving back

Guest jonboy062

Guest jonboy062

I traced my birth parents two years ago to Australia. They moved there in the late 1970s giving up their UK citizenship (daft I kno. I presume they have to get their uk citizenship back, how do they do that and how difficult is it? )Now they are considering returning to the UK or Europe to be closer to myself and their grandson. Does anyone know the procedures and as they are bothy very close to retirement, the health and benefits implications, especially in Europe.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Guest Guest31881
I traced my birth parents two years ago to Australia. They moved there in the late 1970s giving up their UK citizenship (daft I kno. I presume they have to get their uk citizenship back, how do they do that and how difficult is it? )Now they are considering returning to the UK or Europe to be closer to myself and their grandson. Does anyone know the procedures and as they are bothy very close to retirement, the health and benefits implications, especially in Europe.

I think it will depend on how they gave up their UK citizenship. if they simply just allowed their passports to lapse then they may be able to just apply for new passports. Not sure about benifits. hope someone can help with more info for you.

Hi

As far as i was aware, just because you get Aus Citizenship does not mean you forgo your english one, like the previous poster said, it could just be their passports which they lapsed, my uncle returned to the UK after 40 years there and he had no problems getting a new uk passport.

Guest smileykylie

i imagine they will need to produce birth certificates to prove they were born in the Uk - like the others said I don't think you can give up UK citizenship.

i was not even born in the Uk but by proving my parents were I am a uk citizen now as well. Like petals OH i travel on whatever passport is the easiest (and does not need a visa!!)

Archived