Naster smoker people (like me)

Guest choobs

Hokay, so now I'm thinking up things to panic about :) We're waiting for our meds request to come in and I'm worrying about that 'do you / have you ever used tobacco' box.

I've heard that the medical tests are quite stringent. Now would not be the best time to give up smoking, what with changing jobs, selling the house, and waiting for DIMIA all rolled into one, but if it's likely to fail me the medical exam then I have to. Anyone know anything about this?

Cheers

Choobs

Actually, scratch that - it's an excuse. There's never going to be a less stressful time, knowing me, and not smoking will be more positive than smoking. So I've stopped as of..... now.

If my lovely wife is reading this (which I'm sure she will) apologies in advance for all the bad moods :)

Choobs

Good luck with the stopping!

I put smoker (15 a day) (& drinker) on the form and didn't get any negative response!

Recieved the visa a few weeks later!

Just to note that Aust is going down the route of stamping out smoking in all public place so its the right time to give up!

:shock:

Guest ABCDiamond

If you are coming to QLD.........

From 1 January 2005:

Some outdoor public places where people gather as groups, and particularly where children are present, are no-smoking zones.

It is illegal to smoke anywhere within 4 metres of a non-residential building entrance. This rule applies to the entrances of places like offices, banks, non-licensed food premises, BYO restaurants, snack bars and cinemas.

Guest mickroo
If you are coming to QLD.........

From 1 January 2005:

Some outdoor public places where people gather as groups, and particularly where children are present, are no-smoking zones.

It is illegal to smoke anywhere within 4 metres of a non-residential building entrance. This rule applies to the entrances of places like offices, banks, non-licensed food premises, BYO restaurants, snack bars and cinemas.

Well thats another good reason to take the kids over to Brisbane I myself support a total bad on smoking in public places.

Good luck Choobs with quitting the cancer sticks.

Regards

Mick

Well thats another good reason to take the kids over to Brisbane I myself support a total bad on smoking in public places.

Good luck Choobs with quitting the cancer sticks.

I agree with the public places ban as well, surprisingly. As the only only smoker in my household I go outside to smoke. I think any reasonable person would support a ban in a place where there are non smokers.

Anyhoo, I'll get there in the end :)

Choobs

Guest glennandkate

good luck choobs - I stopped yesterday because of that damn form... So far today only screamed at the kids once and had one nervous breakdown in the bathroom :lol:

Guest ABCDiamond

and, from 1 January 2006:

Introducing 100% smoke-free indoor environments at all liquor licensed premises and (QLD) being the only Government in Australia to introduce comprehensive bans on smoking in outdoor areas of liquor licensed premises at this time.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/atods/tobaccolaws/timeline.asp

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/atods/tobaccolaws/index.asp

I gave up smoking 29 years ago. Used to be on 40 a day, and savings so far, in todays $, is about $130,000

• 4 weeks later...
Guest drawlings7

Just come back from Perth and I found that you can't smoke in any bars or food places but you can always go outside and a lot of places give you an area outside to go to in australia it's quite nice to go outside and smoke.

Archived