Renting with Pets

Guest Lathropes

Guest Lathropes

Hello!

We are hoping to move out to Melbourne by the end of the year and take my 5 month old Puppy Ella with us. However for the first few months we are hoping to rent untill we find a new home. Does anyone know if there is a lot of rented accomidation which allow pets and if so do they allow the pets to stay inside the house?

Many thanks

Kerry

Guest newnico

I'm taking my cat and will be there the end of November, so also a bit worried about this. Hope someone will reassure us both!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest liddylou

Sorry folks but you will struggle. We made the decision to leave our very much loved dog in the uk and without sounding horrible I am glad we did.

It is not so much that you won't be able to rent but you will compromise the standard of accomodation you can get because of the animals and that was something I wan not prepared to to.

Guest carmen

well i do and don't agree with liddylou, we all deal with things differently... according to the animals age health, and also the money side of things etc, we are off to perth in 4 weels and have been offered, a fab 4 bedroomed double story home looking over the canals, with its own boat ramp, ( we have 2 dogs) i would also like to say, that we have also been e-mailed a number of new rentals, that will accept our pets, of course there are requirerments from the owner (no problem) remember... as i always say, you chose your pet they did'nt choose you, at the end of the day the choice is yours, and sometimes its a difficult one,(but not with us)

i would also like to add that i have a sister, brov-in law, & 2 kiddies in north perth, she too is renting a new home where the owner said no pets, but having seen on inspection how well she keeps the house,they have now said yes to them having pets, now they have a cat and a pup rrr.

so good luck kerry, and remember theres been 100/1000s of folk like us, that have taken their beloved pets to oz.

if your off to perth your realize that when it comes to booking them in, theres a good 2/3+ month waiting time, bearing in mind, so l've been told, the place is fairly small, i also guess its popular,with the ex pats putting their pets in quarantine.

all the best & i wish you luck.

x carmen x

Most propertys up for rent around here ,allow pets as long as you have a pest spray done to the property when you move.I havnt heard of one that dosnt allow pets ,the worst i heard was one who stipulated they must stay outside,hope this helps a bit

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

We are hoping to move out to Melbourne by the end of the year and take my 5 month old Puppy Ella with us. However for the first few months we are hoping to rent untill we find a new home. Does anyone know if there is a lot of rented accomidation which allow pets and if so do they allow the pets to stay inside the house?

Many thanks

Kerry

Our pets are our family (2 dogs). It is hard renting in WA with pets........ but not impossible.

You have to pay what is known as a pet bond here in the west. Landlords cannot just pluck that figure from the sky.......... they have to adhere to Govt rules and it is a set figure as per the Residential Tenancies Act.

A client who keeps her house spotless has a dog who isn't one iota of bother......... but alas the dog was the reason she got knocked back at 6 or 7 rentals she applied for. She even offered to pay up front as much as $3,000 in pet bond (not allowed to pay that much incidentally) because she was confident she would get it all back as her dog was not the damaging type................ it was no go though!

With her next application i rang the agent involved and asked them to please pay her a visit.......... see for yourself what the house is like. That worked a treat and she signed up for a 12 month rental in a brand new home which has never been lived in.

This lady was as sick as a parrot and was so fed up of the rental merry go round she was on................. she has now cracked it............ and the new rental she signed up for is much better than previous ones she had inspected.

Granted.....it's not easy with pets............ but it's not impossible!

Archived