A little help please??

Purple Princess

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any general advice on a state sponsored visa, such as:

Can you apply onshore?

What is the points total?

Do you have to work in the nominated job?

I have spent many an hour with the help from Gill, George and Roger Laws looking into the option of emigrating on OH's job and have come to a dead end. However, I have not looked into my job in any great detail. I have worked for the same company for over 21 years so have loads of experience (plus a few qualifications as well), but handed my notice in last year so need to make sure that I have 12 months experience in the last 24 months??

The reasons I ask the above questions are that we are currently in Qld on a student visa, and I still want to complete my degree. I have just had my first semester results and I've done really well, and I am really enjoying Uni. Should I need to change states (although we are really happy here) this would have to be done within the first 12 months of study.

Thanks

Steph

xxxx

:hug:

Guest chris_mac

Steph, If you have spent considerable time speaking to Gill and George then i am sure there is very little esle to discuss.

1. Can you appy onshore! Yes... But you will have to be off shore to for it to be granted and validated.

2. Points total i beleive is 110 for state sponsorship, 120 for GSM.

3. Work in nominated job. No you dont.

Chris

Hi Chris Mac,

I agree, they are all really good, BUT, we have only discussed Richard's occupation, not mine....so I thought there may have been an option to transfer to State Migration under my occupation??

Steph

xxxx

But you haven't mentioned what your job is so it is pretty hard to tell if you could apply or not? :confused:

Assuming your occupation is on the list, considering you have been on a student visa, studying, are you sure that you can meet the 12 out of 24 months work requirement?

I am not sure what you mean by "transfer to state migration". Have you got an application lodged then? Is your occupation, whatever that may be, on a state sponsorship list? If there is already an application lodged in your husband's name, you would not be able to take over it - if that is what you are asking.

To get some clearer responses, could you clarify a few things, your post is really difficult to follow.

Hi,

Sorry if the post was a bit vague, I don't know if my job is on any state sponsorship lists yet, I was waiting for them to be announced, however, I was looking at another thread on WA and it looks like my job is potentially going to be on their list.

I'm a Financial Advisor (Investment adviser over here) and have worked for the same company from August 1988 until I applied for a career break in October last year. My last day in paid employment was the 31st October. Will this cover working 12 out of the last 24 months?

We have no other visa application, I'm on a student visa and have only just completed my first semester. I wanted to look into this as aoon as possible due to the 12 months working rule.

I still want to continue with my degree, I was just looking at options available to reduce the fees as I'm paying international fees, plus school fees for our daughter and to lift the work restrictions for hubby!! I don't want to work as an FA over here, that was one of the reasons for leaving the UK!!

I hope this makes more sense now, thanks for your help.

Steph

xxxx

OK, got you. In that case if your occupation is on the WA list or any other list, then you would be eligible to apply so long as you can get your application in before October. Once you have been out of the workforce for a year you are not going to qualify because of the 12/24 rule.

The potential issue I can see is that WA has been notoriously slow at processing applications, taking about 6 months recently. So even if they announced the list officially tomorrow, unless they speed up considerably (and perhaps they will for SMP occupations) your timing is going to be very tight.

OK, got you. In that case if your occupation is on the WA list or any other list, then you would be eligible to apply so long as you can get your application in before October. Once you have been out of the workforce for a year you are not going to qualify because of the 12/24 rule.

The potential issue I can see is that WA has been notoriously slow at processing applications, taking about 6 months recently. So even if they announced the list officially tomorrow, unless they speed up considerably (and perhaps they will for SMP occupations) your timing is going to be very tight.

Thanks Pumpkin,

Sorry about the original post, I may be doing relly well at Uni, but the blonde still keeps rearing it's ugly head sometimes!!!! My hubby calls me 'nice but dim' affectionately though!!:biglaugh:

Steph

xxxx

Edit - How does the rule work, because even after October, I will still have worked for a period of 12 consecutive months in the last 24?? Sorry to sound thick again!

Edit - How does the rule work, because even after October, I will still have worked for a period of 12 consecutive months in the last 24?? Sorry to sound thick again!

The rule is exactly as it sounds, you have to have worked 12 of the last 24 months in your occupation. Your sentence I highlighted in red wouldn't be mathematically possibly once you have been out of the workforce for over a year. For example, you stopped work October 2009, so in November 2010 you will not have worked for 13 months.

Thus in the 24 months to November 2010 you will not have worked for 13/24 thus could only have worked for 11/24. Hence you fail the 12/24 rule.

If you are to be main applicant, you MUST get your app in before October.

Guest Jane1991

If you are a financial advisor I faintly recall that NSW offers sponsorship.

You can apply onshore (17x) but you will have to go offshore for validation and you wont get a BVA/BVB because that's for 88x.

You could finish your masters in remaining three semesters and use the student work experience waiver ... that would get you over the 12/24 rule.

Any chance you could get get your degree assessed positively by NIA( for accounting) . That would make it heaps easier.

Student route is very risky and it might be advisable to apply now ...

And you are under no obligation to work as a FA / Accountant once you have your PR.

As for uni fees. Unless you are on a SMP or ENS it could take well over an year to get the visa and by them you would have paid for most of the degree anyways. You would still have to pay 8889 AUD upfront every year because you won't fulfil the residence requirements ( 104 weeks ) for Fee-Help / HECS-HELP.

But yeah that can reduce fees significantly. Another problem that might arise is that the program has limited number of seats for domestic students and if you get reclassified as a domestic student you may no longer be able to get into the program but you can always transfer.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the detailed reply (not sure if I understand it all though!)

Unfortunately I'm not doing a Masters, just an undergraduate degree and I've just completed the first semester..5 more to go. The Masters would mean no work restrictions for Richard, although I think even as a mature student I need an undergraduate degree first.

My degree at Griffith has specified degree requirements which will mean I will qualify for accreditation at the end of it by the accountancy bodies. I don't think I can do anything at this stage so early in my degree.

I understand what you mean about applying now, I'm starting to get nervous due to the rapid changes, and I hadn't thought about using my qualifications when we first looked into emigrating. We have had some advice about Richard's job and if (and it's a big if) we could get his job classified, we could go down the route of a 457 visa. However, after talking about it, we would prefer to pay the school and uni fees than do the 457 route, I think in this climate it is even more risky!!

The fees for Uni would go down by about half, and if we can stay in Qld, Hannah's fees would disappear, but the main reason for looking at SMP is so that the 20 hour work restriction can be lifted for Richard. I mentioned WA, just because on another thread it looks like financial adviser is going to be on their list, ideally we would like to stay here though.

I hope this helps

Steph

xxxx

Archived