175 or 176? Is one quicker than the other?

Guest pootle33

Guest pootle33

Hi there

We are looking to emigrate to Australia and my husband has enough points under 175 to make an independent application as a systems analyst. However my brother is a resident and soon to be citizen of Australia so I know he could sponsor us under a 176 even though we have enough points. Does anyone know if one is particularly quicker or slower than the other? We dont need the visa within a few months but at the same time dont want to wait 3 years for example so if anyone knows if there is a vast difference between the two based on priority it would really help to have this info.

Many thanks

Guest AustrAnglian

If you know what State you want to move to you might want to look into applying for State Sponsorship under a State Migration Plan. DIAC indicate that this will shorten processing times from an estimated 3 years to around 12 months for offshore applicants. I think family sponsorship and 175 will both leave you in the 3 year category.

With the above said, DIAC are yet to approve any SMPs so it may be worth your while waiting a few more weeks (fingers crossed) until the SMPs are published and see if you qualify for state sponsorship and also if the published processing priorities are made clearer for the non-SMP sponsored applicants.

Hi again! meant to say....you need 120 points for 175 and 100 for 176.....so 175 has priority. We just fall short so are using the 176 route. Hope this helps.

actually, 175 does not have priority over 176, unless you already applied and have an occupation on CSL. Here is the current Processing Priority:

1. Applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS.

2. Applications from people who are nominated by a state/territory government agency under a state migration plan agreed to by the minister.

3. Applications from people who are nominated by a state/territory government agency and whose nominated occupation is on the Critical Skills List (CSL).

4. Applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored in priority groups 1, 2 or 3, but whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL.

5. Applications from people who are nominated by a state/territory government agency whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

6. (i) Applications from people whose occupations are listed on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL).

(ii) Aplications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

7. All other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.

Plain old 175 apps, are priority 7.

Guest VickyMel

As and when all the current changes come into effect it may be worth checking where your occupation lies as the current priorities are likely to change? Things are changing a lot at the moment we are not really sure where we will end up after the next reshuffle.

There are 176 state sponsored (new SMPs) and family sponsored - the two have very different time lines. Unfortunately family sponsorship is pretty slow at the moment.

176 SS have previously been faster than 175 - unless your occupation was a critical skill.

People on the new SMP plans will be prioritised but we don't know which occupations are on the list for the different states either yet. (Probably your best bet for priorities).

If your occupation is on the new SOL and a 175 it may be processed as a priority as well? - we really don't know but they have reduced the list of occupations on the SOL so that it is more like the critical skills list so we are not sure at the moment what sort of level of priority it will get?

Good luck

Guest pootle33

Hi

thanks everyone for the replies. System Analyst (my OH's job) is on the new SOL so I was making the assumption that 175 would be quicker however just realised that based on an initial assessment we did my partner only had 100 points and not 120 but not sure this is taking everything into account. Oh well we will see.

Guest pootle33

Mind you the assessment was done before the new SOL when he was classed as Business and Information Professional? In fact System Analyst as per new SOL is much closer classification of his role so maybe in fact we would get 120 points. He has a degree and post grad although not in IT which he has worked for the past 10 years. Sorry not expecting anyone to calculate for us but just saying perhaps first assessment was not quite right!

Guest VickyMel

Hi Pootle

I'm not sure what they have done with the points re the new SOL?

There is the potential to get a few extra points by doing IELTS (English test) even if you have a UK passport and can skip the test it is possible to gain a few extra points if you take the test and get a good score.

No points currently for degree+ qualifications (unless taken in Oz) although they are looking at the points and this may changes later down the line - maybe later this year.

I think the points calculator on the immi web site was pretty good - soory its a while since we were doing it and there have been so many changes since then.

VickyMel

Archived