homesick

BeckiNick

hey i thought maybe someone out there may understand and be able to offer some advice. I am 24 and live with my austrlian bf on a partner visa in Melbourne. I love my life I have recently got a permanant job working with physically disabled children, we have a rented unit and everything is going well I have been here just under a year but for some reason only yesterday I feel so homesick. I have no idea why. I hated where I was brought up as a kid, the area wasnt the best, i moved out at 18 so I havent been dependent on my parents but do have a great relationship with them. i am really close to my brother but he has his own life and moving over here hasnt changed that so I dont know whats wrong really. I just feel lonely and i dont know why. I have my bf;s family and his friends but I guess I just wanted to make my own friends but havent got anywhere with that one. I work with older people , I just dont seem to meet anyone my age apart from my bf;s friends. God i sound desperate lol but does anyone have any tips on where to meet people . I did join a soccer club but this way to competitive. It seems people that I have met anyway either love u for bein a pom or hate u - !! finding it so hard recently!!!! i would love a quick holiday back home ..my mum was heartbroken when i left and i think the guilt is playing on me!!

Guest thebexta

BeckiNick! You're not alone petal, the homesick bug is like the common cold - common!

As is also feeling a bit lonely - I thought it was just me till I found this site! :jiggy:

Check out the VIC forum to find similar posts by other PIO in Melb, I'm no good to you as I'm in Sydney. Or search the whole site for "friends" till you find some Melb posts, am sure you'll find many.

Good luck, congrats on the grt job too

Becky :hug:

Guest Caitmelbourne

Hi Beckie

I've only been in Melbourne for 3 months and I get homesickness pangs, they are quite physical at times and I get a need to see my mums face, natter to a good friend or even and old work colleague. But then the next day, I'm fine. I guess you just have to take the rough with the smooth & remember why you came out in the first place. I hear constantly of mates back home excited about the summer in London and the fun they have planned and I feel sad to be missing that, but life isn't all joy and you hold on to the good times.

The weather doesn't help as it gets chilly but it is glorious this weekend (I hope it stays anyway) and think of the summer!

Can you plan a trip home, just so you have that to look forwadr to, even if it is months away. Or if friends/family ask to come visit, say yes.

Accept all offers for going out, even though it'd nerve racking at frist. I met up with a friend of a friend recently and felt like I was going on a first date, but it was fun.

Thank the lord for Skype!!

Guest kitkat37

Oh bless you - know the feeling but I always find going back helps until you come back to Oz!!! Been here 8 yrs now in same situation and it is hard finding friends - especially when most Aussie have got family and life long friends to fill their weeks. Most of my friends are now people in same boat as me - family live a long way away - and so we can relate to each other a bit more. I would suggest joining a local club or learning a new skill ... a bit scary but you are more likely to find friends with the same interests/age as you. If you have kids then join the PTA/School council. Or do voluntary work - I joined Wildlife Victoria as a animal rescuer and found some friends. Good luck xxx

Archived