Course work for GCSE

Guest Kelvino

Guest Kelvino

Hi all you clever people out there :idea:,

My son is 14 and in year 9, currently starting course work which goes toward his final GCSE marks. We are looking to move to Aus next year but he is concerned that all his efforts now will be a waste of time :no:.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated :notworthy:

Kelvino

Guest kdal

Hi, I have 2 sons one is 15 and will manage to take his GCSE's here before we go (if get visa) next year. My other son and similar situation to yours.

My youngest starting to slack of from his school work abit thinking we are going away, but I have explained to him that we are not in Australia yet and anything could happen so he still must concentrate on his work, also that studying is never a loss take in all the info you can as it could be useful in the future!

Reassure him that his studying is not a waste. Let him know that you will be taking a report from his current school to his new school and that you will ask them to put his marks from his coursework in the report, to show his new school how hard he works!

Hope this helps

Gd luck

Guest Kelvino

Thanks for the reply Kdal,

I will show him your reply and hopefully this will help settle his mind

Thanks again

K :)

Guest kdal
Thanks for the reply Kdal,

I will show him your reply and hopefully this will help settle his mind

Thanks again

K :)

Hi Kelvino

Hope your son is feeling better about the studying etc.. now

Gd luck

Kim

Guest kaz68

my son will also just sit his gcse' days before we leave for oz, have spoken to sckool out there and they say to bring some of his work with him, more important than reports, as the uk report wont mean alot as they wont know the standard of the rest of the class, anyway they will look at his work to see if he can then slip in class there to do his highers, as yr 11 here are the first year of highers there, as in all the lead up to the highers exams. i also rmember reading somewhere that they can finish school at 15, they can only do taff ect if hav completed yrs 11 and 12?? not sure. got a bit lost by then, wen i was at school we all left in the 5th year!!

Guest The.Colebecks

If your children have taken their GCSEs (as our son will have done just before we go) I have been told that in W.A. you can apparently take their certs to the curriculum council and have them 'recognised' as equivalent Oz exams - I cannot say if this is the same Oz-wide, but assume that it is.

Karen x

Guest kaz68

karen, that is very good news indeed about the GCSEs as my daughter done hers last year!! hopefully it will be the same alover oz, id imagine so as people move about with jobs ect? she will be plz, and maybe make my son try a bit harder now this could be the case, i think my son is saying the same as kdal's, i have been saying to him if he ever decided to go back to the uk they would be useful, but now this is even better. thanks, i will make some fone calls to find out. kaz

HI Everyone

I sometimes copy and paste info from here into word, so nearer the time to our move (hopefully), I can look through it all, as can't possibly remember all the info I have!

Here is something that I copied and pasted regarding GCSE's from here ages ago :-

I'm not 100% sure if the following are the correct places to actually get the certificate of recognistion for GCSEs but they are the education/curriculum departments for the other Oz states and should be able to advise you

Queensland Curriculum Council

Level 27 MLC Centre 239 George Street

Brisbane Queensland Australia

PO Box 317, Brisbane Albert Street Q 4002

ph. (07) 3237 0794 fax (07) 3237 1285

e-mail: qsccinquiries@qed.qld.gov.au

http://www.uq.edu.au/qscc/qscc.html

unquote

It appears that you can take the certificate to the council and they get them recognised!!

Any more news on this would be appreciated it????

Regards

Hi all

Found this too by someone :-

My son is sixteen and passed GCSEs in the UK. He now has been recognised as having completed Year 11. He has a certificate from the Curriculum Council to this effect. So if your son can sit his GCSEs then it is well worthwhile.

You will need to take his certificates to the Curriculum Council Office in Perth and pay a small fee. They will take copies and you will receive the official letter in the post.

unquote

So looks like you can get the GCSE equivalents!

gd luck all

p.s. don't forget all current year 9's and 10's don't give up still it's not a waste

show the Aussie schools how clever you are all (lol)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thistles and gum trees

Hi Kelvino - My son is also 14 and in year 9. We are heading down under in October where he will have just done 5 weeks in year 10 here in Cyprus, but will then move back down to year 9 to finish the Australian school year. He has made his "selelctions" for his GCSEs and will start the course work in September. For most of his subjects he will continue in Oz although he may have to study French and German with a distant learning programme (instead of Japanese) and perhaps the sciences he has selected will be combined into one. He is delighted though that as well as the academics, they offer lots of PE/Outdoor related subjects that he can also study. Will let you know how it goes. Sarah

Guest Kelvino

Thanks for your reply Sarah,

Hope your move goes well and son gets on okmat school. Any info would be much appreciated

Kelvino:wub:

• 1 month later...
Guest jazledisko

Hey there. Im 15 and having a bit of a dilemma.

Im due to be taking my GCSEs this springtime, however our family are going to be moving to australia this december. is there any way of using the coursework i have to gain anything from oz or are there different exams i can take at a different time. as its practially impossible for me to take the gcses with this situation.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

jaz x

Hey there. Im 15 and having a bit of a dilemma.

Im due to be taking my GCSEs this springtime, however our family are going to be moving to australia this december. is there any way of using the coursework i have to gain anything from oz or are there different exams i can take at a different time. as its practially impossible for me to take the gcses with this situation.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

jaz x

Hiya Jaz

I don't think your coursework is going to be any help to you in Australia as far as it going to exam results unfortunatey. Your new teacher in Oz might be interested in what you have been doing and of your grades that you have been achieving, so keep up the hard work and take it all with you anyway.

If you know what school you are going to be attending when you go to Oz it might be an idea to email them and ask about the exams and when you will be sitting them.

I have a 15 year old too but we are not leaving England to September next year so he would have sat his GCSE's, although my 14 and 13 year old would not have sat theirs.

I hope all works out well for you

Good luck Jazx

Archived