Moving our pets to OZ

Guest Sallyd81

Guest Sallyd81

Hello,

My partner Ricky and I hope to move to OZ in the next couple of years and really want to bring our two German Shepherds! Is there anyone out there that has moved pets and can advise me on the process and costs?

Thanks

Sal

x

Hi

im sure this varies between companies but we went to the australian expo last weekend and spoke to a pet relocations firm there. They quoted us £4,500 for our bernese mountain dog PLUS £500 for the quarantine

added on. after looking at the quarantine website it looks like its more than £500

A dog that is not sharing quarantine accommodation and eligible for minimum Australian quarantine period of 30 days will cost approximately AUD$1305.

Thats shockingly expensive, especially as it said that the staff will only try to walk your dog twice a week! so what are they charging so much for!

Guest Sallyd81

oh no, it just gets worse! I'm going to the Australian Expo at Manchester tomorrow so hopefully they will be there too.

According to ths website Taking a Pet to Australia - Aussiemove.com its going to cost minimum of £7000 - £3,500 each for large breeds.

How can they justify these prices? Its quite upsetting really.

Thanks for replying piglet.

Sal

x

Guest tiddywiddy

Hi

We have two boarder collies & assumed they would cost about £2k each, since doing my research & asking on this site, I think were looking at about £4-5k each, Ooooouuuuccchh. As they are still young we have toiled with the idea of giving them a new home, but I would rather stay here a good few months longer & save up & take them, even though they are little gits, couldnt part with them in the long run, as they are part of the family. Please keep us updated to anymore info on the costs etc, also just remember, the prices above do not include all the jabs they need here, prior to going???

Tina, Essex

Guest The Pom Queen
Hello,

My partner Ricky and I hope to move to OZ in the next couple of years and really want to bring our two German Shepherds! Is there anyone out there that has moved pets and can advise me on the process and costs?

Thanks

Sal

x

Hi Sal

Hopefully this will help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shie6523
Hi , it cost us £2,500 to ship our staffy over . The same as it cost us for 5 x 1 way tickets to OZ for humans . Its a rip off really what they charge for animals . That includes all fees at spotswood quarantine though .

How long did the whole process take for you to ship your staffy out?

I have a 4 year old staffy and want to bring it with me to Sydney. I'm looking to get to Sydney in July so ideally I need to know when to get the ball rolling on this.

Also I wasn't sure whether staffy's where permitted to enter the country but obviously they are!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jamieglaister
Wow, that is expensive eh?!? So, basically I'm looking at £5000. ouch :shocked:

Thank you

The bad news is that it will probably be much more! The cost of the "airfreight", which unfortunately is how the airlines regard animals is based on size. Unless AnnaBay07ish's Staffy was of epic proportions, the crate would have been relatively small compared to the sizes required for GSD's. Cut the costs down by using someone like Petair to organise flights and crates and you can really organise everything else (bloods, jabs, paperwork etc) yourself. Find a vet in your neighbourhood with export experience (this is not uncommon) - preferably the vet you usually use - they will be able to do a lot of the work that an export company provides, at a fraction of the cost. Our dog has been over from the UK for 12 months now - she cost us nearly GBP4000 all up - but worth every penny and we'd do it all again tomorrow (with the help of paracetamol!)

The bad news is that it will probably be much more! The cost of the "airfreight", which unfortunately is how the airlines regard animals is based on size. Unless AnnaBay07ish's Staffy was of epic proportions, the crate would have been relatively small compared to the sizes required for GSD's. Cut the costs down by using someone like Petair to organise flights and crates and you can really organise everything else (bloods, jabs, paperwork etc) yourself. Find a vet in your neighbourhood with export experience (this is not uncommon) - preferably the vet you usually use - they will be able to do a lot of the work that an export company provides, at a fraction of the cost. Our dog has been over from the UK for 12 months now - she cost us nearly GBP4000 all up - but worth every penny and we'd do it all again tomorrow (with the help of paracetamol!)

April 2008 Border Collie with Petair gold service £2500 ,quarantine $800 ,if the shippers are quoting quaro charges go to the aquis website they give the quaro price ,

Archived