4 weeks holiday at christmas???

Guest morrison

Guest morrison

HELLO

CAN ANYONE TEL ME WHEATHER IT'S TRUE THAT AUSTRALIANS TYPICALLY HAVE A 1 MONTH CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY. AND IF SO HOW MUCH DOES THAT LEAVE FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR. I READ THAT 4 WEEKS IS THE ANNUAL ENTILTLEMAENT.

Guest dwaldron

It's not unheard of, I have done it a couple of times but usually took three weeks as my entitlement was only four plus public (bank) holidays.

I have noticed, after living in the UK for a few years that it can be a bit of a task getting more than two weeks' holiday. I would say it is more tolerated in Australia because of the travel distances involved.

Boxing Day at Australian airports tends to be a busy day as everybody makes the post-Xmas exodus to far away places.

Guest ABCDiamond

The kids get about 7 weeks off school at Christmas, for summer holidays, so it's an ideal time to have the family holiday.

I'd say 2 or 3 weeks was more common for the average employed person, to take at one time, although 4 or 5 weeks would be common when going on overseas holidays, excluding the short breaks to Fiji, Asia etc.

Guest JohnKelly

The Award is 4 weeks Annual Leave.

How he takes them depends on the industry in which he is employed.

I reckon the average worker would take two weeks at Christmas, one week at Easter and spread the remainder.

As I said, it depends on the industry. For example, the building industry just about shuts down over the Christmas period and all those in the building industry usually take two of the 4 weeks off over the Christmas period.

Archived