Holidays vs moving permanently

Guest moonsurfer

Guest moonsurfer

Have noticed that quite a few postings from folks going back to the UK have said that they had visited Australia and enjoyed it before making the big move, but found living here permanently not what they expected. Besides the distance from family and friends, can I ask what it was that made you feel after you got here that you didn't want to stay living here, even though you had liked it on holiday? I dread the thought of getting older in Australia and am going back to UK on long service leave from work later this year. Many thanks.

Guest guest30038

Shortage of a good sausage? :biggrin:

Seriously, I think the consensus is (without going into individual likes or dislikes of either country, that it's "sense of belonging". For many, their hearts simply aren't in the place, and I can understand that. Some talk of their love for Oz but nevertheless, their hearts are in the UK.

kev

Guest Perth Princess
Shortage of a good sausage? :biggrin:

Seriously, I think the consensus is (without going into individual likes or dislikes of either country, that it's "sense of belonging". For many, their hearts simply aren't in the place, and I can understand that. Some talk of their love for Oz but nevertheless, their hearts are in the UK.

kev

I'd say that is spot on for me. I love Australia and think it is the absolute best place for holidays, but England is my home.

Guest rayman1

Brisbane is soo expensive. If you haven't go a lot of money it is soaked up in mortgage. And how is that better than england? Housing is more affordable. The feeling of not being where you belong also hits hard. I am proud to be British and listened too much to the papers of broken Britain. I can't wait to return to the place I know I shouldn't have left. Australia is lovely but not for everyone. If you are happy where you are, stay. Don't mend something that isn't broken.

Archived