Weather and more

Guest hm23

We look like we are moving to Melbourne in March, much to sort ot before then i feat.Can anybody highlight the most imporant things to sort out , i really don't know where to start.Work is all sorted as my husband is being sponsored.

Also whay's a typical year's weather in Melbourne.

We look like we are moving to Melbourne in March, much to sort out before then i fear.Can anybody highlight the most imporant things to sort out , i really don't know where to start.Work is all sorted as my husband is being sponsored.

We look like we are moving to Melbourne in March, much to sort ot before then i feat.Can anybody highlight the most imporant things to sort out , i really don't know where to start.Work is all sorted as my husband is being sponsored.

Hi there we live in NE Victoria and arrived 3 months ago. You should check out the Brit-Vics website as there are loads of people on there living in Melbourne who will be able to give you lots of info. You can find it on http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx Are you coming over on PR or on a temporary visa? Do you have kids?

We enjoy visiting Melbourne and it has some lovely areas and excellent beaches but where you live depends on where you will be working. The weather has 4 seasons and is changeable but generally cooler than further north. We haven't had a winter here yet but it is nice and warm at the moment

8)

Good luck.

Nicky

Thanks Nicky yes we do have kids Connor aged 8 and Kaitlin aged 5. We are coming over on a company sponserd years working visa to start with but the company i will be working for has agreed to sponsor us for PR after 2 years.

Thanks Nicky yes we do have kids Connor aged 8 and Kaitlin aged 5. We are coming over on a company sponserd years working visa to start with but the company i will be working for has agreed to sponsor us for PR after 2 years.

Hi there we are on a 457 visa at the moment and the advantage in Victoria is that at least you won't have to find money for school fees (over and above the standard fees for books etc). Where will you be working? as people on Britvics should be able to point you in the right direction regarding housing areas etc depending on the commute.

There are some downsides to living on a 457 visa but if they are happy to sponsor you for PR after a while then you should be fine. You won't get any child benefit while on a temporary visa and you can't change job easily but we haven't found any real problems so far and we are here with 4 kids. We need to get our PR sorted before our 16 year old needs to go to University as otherwise he would have to pay overseas student fees on a 457 visa.

Good luck with it all, are the company paying for shipping? are they helping with initial accommodation as that is a great help our company paid for the first month which took the pressure off and they booked a car for a month as well. If you are having to do all of this yourself then I would check out the BritVics site for information on the best deals in the area that you will be in.

Have fun it is all worth it in the end. :D

Nicky

Hi,

We have got 2 weeks accomadation sorted within distance of Harvey's work in Oakleigh ( do you know anything about the area?.They are not paying for shipping at all we are sorting this out ourselves.What are schools like? Is there any invaluable information that you could give for sorting out our lives here before we go.Ant do's and don't's.We are going to be renting our house out for the first year.

Hope you can help.

Kirsty

Hi,

We have got 2 weeks accomadation sorted within distance of Harvey's work in Oakleigh ( do you know anything about the area?.They are not paying for shipping at all we are sorting this out ourselves.What are schools like? Is there any invaluable information that you could give for sorting out our lives here before we go.Ant do's and don't's.We are going to be renting our house out for the first year.

Hope you can help.

Kirsty

Hi there I would go with the info that people give you on BritVics as there are loads of people on there that helped me loads before we moved.

The things that we have found out is to take all the info you can get and try to go with the flow as it is a VERY stressful but well worth it in the end.

With banks a 457 visa often means that you can't get a credit card so try to keep something sorted in the UK preferably a couple of cards as some of them work better than others over here.

We registered with medicare quickly after we arrived as it is easy and takes a worry away especaily with kids.

We didn't have the choiceof suburbs that you have in Melbourne as we are living in a small city ( a large town really in UK terms) so schools etc were more self contained for us. If you don't get the specific info on BritVics keep with it.

I don't know Melbourne at all but we were at Berwick this weekend and that was lovely, loads of things for the kids to do with good schools and nice housing but it might be too far away for you.

Good luck and maybe we will see you once you get over here.

Nicky

Archived