Moving to Mackay

Guest THE BROONS

Guest THE BROONS

I have just been offered a job on a 4 year working visa and need to arrive no later than end August.From e mailing my cv to being offered the job has only taken a month,so I could use some advice and info on how much money I should take as a cushion for myself and my wife and son.My prospective employer will accomodate us for a week and also introduce us to a letting agent and I will be earning as soon as I arrive.How difficult is it to find suitable rented accomodation and what are the hidden costs if any?Any help will be appreciated.

Dear The Broons,

Good to hear your exciting news about prospective employment in Mackay. We have been here since August last year and have settled really well, it's a lovely part of the world with great facilities for families.

BUT, it's a thriving mining town and rental accommdation is scarce and at a premium. I can't stress this enough as I've heard a few horror stories of people coming here and not being able to find anywhere to rent and ending up living in shipping containers! There are usually around six people chasing each rental and therefore the competition is high. My advice would be to make a provision of your employment that your employer pay for your hotel/motel until you find somewhere suitable to rent because it will almost certainly take more than a week to find somewhere, not only because you have to find your bearings and decide where you want to be. Also, the rentals here are anywhere between $300 (for a pit), to $500 per week for somewhere half decent. We paid $430 per week for a nice 4 bedroom with a pool close to town. You should be entitled to LAFHA which should cover the majority of your rent but you'll have to speak to your employer about that. As regards house prices, you are looking at the mid $300k's to mid $400k's for a decent place.

As a side piece of advice, do research the company thoroughly before you come. We came last year on a 457 Visa sponsored by the company my husband works for, it's really not the best job in the world and he's been messed about something chronic since we came. We love it here and will work through things until we can get our permanent residency but bear in mind you are tied to that company for the forseeable future.

If you have any other questions about the area I would be more than happy to help.

JJA

Guest THE BROONS

Dear JJA

Thank you for replying to our questions. I was interviewed face to face in the UK and by phone for my new job. My employer is well established as a manufacturer and supplier of plant and equipment to the mining industry and has facilities in New South Wales and Queensland. I must admit I am a bit concerned about their relocation package as any refund is not payable to me until I have been employed for at least 18 months, and also I have to agree to a further 12 months. The maximum refund is $5000. Do you know if this is standard practice? I will take your advice and try to negotiate with my employer in regards to hotel accomodation. Also, could you explain what LAFHA is? It is good to have someone point out any pitfalls we may come across, and it is interesting to hear of your husband's experience with his new employers. We are trying to secure accomodation over the internet before we make the move so, hopefully, a hotel may be unnecessary. Once again, thanks and regards.

The Broons

Guest BullcreekBob
. You should be entitled to LAFHA which should cover the majority of your rent but you'll have to speak to your employer about that.

G'day JJA / The Broons

I've often seen posts about Living Away From Home Allowance and it surprises me that there is so much misunderstanding about it. I'll try to clear up a few things for you...

1) There is absolutely no such thing as an "entitlement" to lafha.

2) There is no obligation for an employer to pay lafha or relocation expenses or travelling costs.

3) When people come to Australia on a 457 visa, their employer is required to pay them a minimum wage which varies slightly by industry.

4) Some people because of their skills will get paid more than the legal minimum (some won't).

5) If an employer chooses to pay more than the minimum, they can do so, at their discretion. Employers can choose how to make these extra payments. One way is to simply pay more salary which is taxable. Another way is to pay some amounts tax free through such things as salary sacrifice arrangements, lafha, relocation expenses, additional super etc. All these "tax free" ways place additional legislative and administrative requirements and risks on an employer.

6) It is entirely up to an employer if they want to accept those additional requirements and risks.

So, if you're coming over here on a 457 visa that's great. The prescribed minimum wage will ensure that earn a "liveable" wage. If you are particularly good at your job, and I'm sure you are, your employer may choose to pay you more. If the job is in a remote location where it's hard to get Aussie labour to go, the employer may need to pay more than the minimum to attract people to the location. If your skill is in particular demand, am employer may need to pay more than the minimum to attract skilled people. But, in all of these cases, there is ABSOLUTELY NO ENTITLEMENT to anything other than the legally prescribed minimum wage.

However, I wish all prospective 457 visa holders luck in sucessfully negotiating more than the minimum. I also think that you are probably in a better position to negotiate before you take the job. Once you've agreed to terms and come out here, they really do have you over a barrel and if you don't like the job or the conditions or the wages, you don't have much choice.

Guest THE BROONS

Thanks for the info about LAFHA and working on a 457 visa Bullcreek Bob.Does anybody else have any experiences either good or bad when entering and working in Oz on this type of visa?I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before committing to any contract I am reqd to sign,because at my age this is a last chance opportunity but I need to be absolutely sure that I make the correct choices for both myself and my wife and son.My son has just turned 19 and is in full time education at the moment but is financially dependent on me.Is it possible for him to travel on my visa as a dependent or will he need a student visa?Also can anybody enlighten me as to how the reciprocal health agreement between the UK and Oz works because my wife suffers with long term health problems which require life long medication?

Thank you

THE BROONS

Dear The Broons & Bob,

I stand corrected on LAFHA, but I do think it's a big help when sorting out accommodation and it's worth asking your employer about.

In our experience, the whole moving thing was quite expensive and I think it's unreasonable that they won't reimburse you for 18 months. Every company has different policies but we had flights paid for and expenses upto $5,000 plus $1,000 miscellaneous costs that we didn't need receipts for, which were reibursed as soon as we arrived and they want a 2 year return of service or we have to pay it back. Don't know if it helps but at least it give you something to compare.

As regards Medicare, I'm not sure how it works for long term care but the UK does have a reciprocal agreement with Australia. I've just been to the Dr's this morning which cost $60, of which I got $21 back through Medicare. It also cost $35 for two different medications.

Not sure about your son's visa. Are the company using an agent to handle your visa application? If so you should be able to get all the info you need from them.

All the best,

JJA

Guest GARY ZENA

Hi The Broons

We Moved Here In Febuary And Find The Place Very Good For Families And Has Most Things A Family Could Ask For. You Will Have Plenty To Keep You Busy When You Get Here But You Must Take Notice Of What The Previos Replies Have Mentioned As You Will Feel The Employer Has You Over A Barrell. Once You Leave Uk There Is No More Negotiation.

We Were Lucky With Accomodation By Having Family Here To Find Somewhere Before We Arrived But It Is True It Is Expensive And Hard To Find With Plenty Of Competition.

I Have A Friend Who Has A Property Coming Up For Rent When Are You Expecting To Move Over?

Keep In Contact Zena, Gary, + Boys 19-20, Girls 1-3

Guest EM&M
Thanks for the info about LAFHA and working on a 457 visa Bullcreek Bob.Does anybody else have any experiences either good or bad when entering and working in Oz on this type of visa?I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before committing to any contract I am reqd to sign,because at my age this is a last chance opportunity but I need to be absolutely sure that I make the correct choices for both myself and my wife and son.My son has just turned 19 and is in full time education at the moment but is financially dependent on me.Is it possible for him to travel on my visa as a dependent or will he need a student visa?Also can anybody enlighten me as to how the reciprocal health agreement between the UK and Oz works because my wife suffers with long term health problems which require life long medication?

Thank you

THE BROONS

Hello,

We are arriving in Brisbane later this year on a 457 visa. We are coming on a 457 as we have no other way to enter Australia. We are lucky in the fact that my husband is going to work for his uncle who has sponsored us in through his company. His in mind we have paid all the costs and relocation as he is helping us out and could no way expect them to provide this. We are willing to do this as we want to come to OZ. We are also looking into the LAFHA and there is a lot of confusion with people going on a 457 over how it works. I know anyone who is going with dependents in some states have to pay schooling fees however I know in Queensland you dont, with the age of your son I am not sure about his visa but I am sure that this has been covered before if you do a search you might find something.

I have to say as well I have visited Mackay a few times as we normally fly into the airport there to go to Airlie Beach, beautiful part of Australia but bloody hot in summer!!

Good Luck

Em x

Archived