Council Tax In Oz?

Guest yvonne & paul

Guest yvonne & paul

Hi all,

What expenses do you have once you either Rent of Buy a property apart from the obvious ie Mortgage payments or rent. Do they have a type of council tax and if so how much ??

Also I gather you are charged on a meter for water and I assume gas of electic.

Any other expenses????

Many thanks

Yvonne

We are still renting as the rent is relatively cheap compared to the UK but from what I can gather...you do not pay council tax(they call it RATES here) here when you rent...I think it depends on what type of property and how big and where it is etc for the amount you pay when you own a house...but my mother-in-law pays around $1000 a year I think(baring in mind she would get a discount for being a pensioner)

As for water yes you are metered but its not alot at all...some real estates may pay a pecentage aswell. The other amenities can vary depending on what you use....for instance....electricity we could pay around $100 a quarter in a warmer month and in winter when we have electric heaters on it shoots up to $300!!:shocked:

We pay around $60 ish for gas but the only thing gas in this house is the cooker and the bbq runs off the natural gas aswell.

Hope this helps you?If you want to know anything else feel free to ask again..:chatterbox:

Vic

Hi all,

What expenses do you have once you either Rent of Buy a property apart from the obvious ie Mortgage payments or rent. Do they have a type of council tax and if so how much ??

Also I gather you are charged on a meter for water and I assume gas of electic.

Any other expenses????

Many thanks

Yvonne

If you rent, you don't pay rates and usually no water rates. You do pay for gas and electricity. If you own a house you pay council rates, water rates, gas and electricity. The Council rates are based on the value of the land and has nothing to do with the size of house you have on it. The Valuer General sets the value of land in Australia.

Guest leanneandmark

:jiggy: No Bloody council tax, I HATE COUNCIL TAX, especially @ £165.00 a month.!!!

Guest Abi&Dan
....for instance....electricity we could pay around $100 a quarter in a warmer month and in winter when we have electric heaters on it shoots up to $300!!:shocked:

We pay around $60 ish for gas but the only thing gas in this house is the cooker and the bbq runs off the natural gas aswell.

Vic

This makes me very happy - we just got our final bill from Npower for electricity for around 1.5 month's use in Jan-Feb till we changed supplier - it's £132!!!! (and I don't think we use excessively either - there's only 2 of us and we don't leave the telly/radio on standby and never leave lights on when we're not in the room and we cook/heat with gas - $300 per 1/4 sounds like a dream :jiggy:

I'm all electric and my bill is around $375 a quarter. I have a pool, reverse cycle ducted airconditioning, a 600litre no frost 'fridge and a 600litre no frost freezer. I also have a very large plasma TV and 4 other TVs. Apart from the stove I can't think of anything else that would be heavy on electricity - maybe computers?

Guest BullcreekBob
I'm all electric and my bill is around $375 a quarter. I have a pool, reverse cycle ducted airconditioning, a 600litre no frost 'fridge and a 600litre no frost freezer. I also have a very large plasma TV and 4 other TVs. Apart from the stove I can't think of anything else that would be heavy on electricity - maybe computers?

The Hot water system is a big cost too.

We use a solar system which works most of the time, but one the odd cloudy day we turn the electric booster on and just watch the meter spin around (at most once / week). We have about 6 PC's, 3 TV's, 2 fridges, one freezer, an 8 seater spa (kept at 37C), elec oven, 4 or 5 elec heaters - not bad for two adults and one dog and our power bill is currently around $5 / day. It's lower in summer ($3/day) because the spa is easier to heat (or cool to 37C !!) and we use the barbie not the oven and never need the water heater.

When you rent you definitely have to pay water...I am told by the hubby that you didn't use to but this maybe due to the water shortages? Like I said before its not alot and if you are around the NSW area you may be in a drought region and not be allowed to use alot of water anyway(level 4 here at the mo and no watering gardens,cars etc)

Vic :goofy:

When you rent you definitely have to pay water...I am told by the hubby that you didn't use to but this maybe due to the water shortages? Like I said before its not alot and if you are around the NSW area you may be in a drought region and not be allowed to use alot of water anyway(level 4 here at the mo and no watering gardens,cars etc)

Vic :goofy:

You don't definitely have to pay water rates. I have 2 sons who rent, 1 in Paddington and the other on the Central Coast and neither pay water rates. It depends on your landlord.

Guest jonseywife

Hiya Yvonne

try WIKIPEDIA - If you have a rough idea of what suburb your heading for, you can enter the town/suburb name on search then on the info for that area, it normally leads you to the local council... then u can check out the council site and even find out exactly how much rates you would have to pay!!!!! But as mentioned before, Ive also been told you dont pay rates, when renting.

Try this link below, you can calculate exactly how much your mortgage woule be, and how much you can borrow...........

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=loan&t=fn-cal

Hope it helps!!!!!! :eek:

It maybe the excess then that you pay...I know we pay some and we go through Mclachlan real estates. As a family of four we find it hard to keep it under the excess. Sorry if I have confused anyone?! :eek:

Vicky

Guest IanL

I didn't think anyone renting a unit/apartment in NSW paid water ? I never have. I'm an apartment type person but my understanding that all rented hoses in NSW paid water?

Heard on the radio today that a 'luxury' water tax was being brought in @ $3 per k/l, for pools etc.

Not sure whether units/apartments pay water .... All I know is we have to pay excess. I know that my hubby used to rent before he went off travelling and got himself hitched to a pommy(me) he didn't have to pay then but I could go on and on with this thread...obviously it maybe down to individual real estates and you would have to ask.

One thing you could do when you go for a rental though is offer a lower price .... you may or may not get the house but it is acceptable to do this. We did and got $20 less a week...all helps.

Vic

Archived