Ormeau, near Gold Coast

sgperry

Hi we stayed there in December and loved it. Our friends live there and we found that it is a great location because you are close to the gold coast and about 30 mins away from Brisbane. We also found loads of shopping centres to choose from. We would move there tomorrow if we ever get our visa. Hope this helps. Jules

Guest woods99

I have friends that live there, and they love it. There is a very good, not too expensive, private school that their daughter attends.

Guest guest30038

Beware of living in low lying areas, particularly near the pimpama river. I have friends who have been severely wet :biglaugh: on a couple of occasions. Shouldn't laugh but they did think it was worth the risk simply for their "rural" view. They take it in their stride though. Areas to avoid in blue and I am led to believe that some of the blocks bordering on the blue have since this map, been sub-divided.

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/gcplanningscheme_0107/Support_files/maps/overlay_maps/om17_potential_flooding/om17_12.pdf

kev

cheers for the info and map, Kev. Definitely something to use when we look at houses there.

thanks Jules and Woods too - we really can't wait to get to Oz, house was put on the market yesterday, now its a waiting game!

regards sg

• 1 month later...
Guest ianinoz69

I lived around there when first moving to Australia in 2002 and still have friends living there. It's a good option if you want to be close to Brisbane and the Gold Coast (about 30mins to both). Friends have got their daughter in a good school and it's pretty handy for the large shopping centres south of Brisbane (ie Logan Hyperdome).

In saying that though I personally found it to be a case of "close to Brisbane/close to the Gold Coast" but not really in either of them so became a bit annoying to have to drive the distances to either. Initially was living just outside Beenleigh (slightly north of Ormeau) and commuted via train to Brisbane (but that is a pain of a train journey as the trains are always full by the time they leave the first couple of Gold Coast stations). In the end made the move down to the Gold Coast and haven't looked back.

Archived