emigration

Guest snowflake

Guest snowflake

hello everyone,

we are just looking into emigrating to oz. My husband is a Time served plaster/Tiler and wondered what the jobs are like whether they are easy to get. We hace been told that the state of Victoria is desperate for trades man. Also couls someone please let us know how much money we would need to support a family of 5 until a job is obtained and are we required to take a minium amount of cash with us. many thanks :D

You would need to have a look at what qualifications etc are required to work in Victoria as I know that some people coming here as Plumbers are having difficulties getting their ticket to work as plumbers here as they need to be able to do water and gas work. In general though yes Victoria is looking for tradies of all sorts as are WA I believe. You can check out the Victoria immigration website for more info

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/ViewPage.action

Also it might be worth asking the same questions on the BritVics website http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php

Money depends on what you are expecting in terms of standard of living, place to live etc. We are a family of 6 and pay approx $270 per week rent for a 4 bed plus study house but we are outside Melbourne, plus you will have to budget for bills and shopping etc, your rental bond also buying a car possibly. If you search on the BritVics website you should find information about this sort of thing on there. It is a personal thing but there is no requirement of a minimum amount of cash, just common sense really. Try to work out what sort of salary you feel that you would need to live on by checking out housing costs http://www.realestate.com.au and some price details can be found on http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=32&languageId=1&contentId=-1 although this isn't totally up to date it should give you some info. Then try to come over with 6 months money in hand, people come with more or less it is just a case of being honest about your expectations and ability to be flexible about what you are able to do to earn the money when you first get here.

Good luck with it all we love it here in Victoria and feel that it was an excellent move for us and the children. Have a happy New Year.

Nicky

Guest snowflake

hello

thankyou for your reply could you also let me know what the education is like there as i have three children 12, 10 and 2. also you say to allow for 6 months of living costs would $600 a week be sufficent, we would be looking at renting to start with also could you tell me if there is alot of british living in this area as it be nice to think that your not alone out there and advice would be there for us.

Hi there there are loads of Brits in Melbourne itself and it is surprising where else you find them through Victoria. We are 3 hours NE of Melbourne and have found a UK family here and a UK man who has married an Australian so it is surprising, however the people are very friendly so it isn't a nightmare if there aren't too many Ex-Pats around.

We have 4 kids aged 3,7,10 and 16 and I am very happy with the schools that they are at. The level of education is excellent and the children have all settled really well. Our youngest is due to start Kinder this year and then school in 2007 although as her birthday is Feb most people would hold their child back a year and start them the year later, it is a matter of choice. As Maggie was at school full time, before we came here, in

Belgium we thought that she needed to be at school sooner rather than later but it is good that you can decide based on your child's personality and needs.

You should be OK on $600 per week depending on whether you have funds to pay for the larger expenses up front (ie car, rental bond) but people survive on much less it just depends on what your living standards are and how happy you are to shop around.

Check out the Brit-Vics site if you are looking at Victoria, especially Melbourne as that has loads of info.

Good luck with it all and maybe we will see you at one of the Ex-Pat meets when you get over here.

Nicky

Guest snowflake

nicky

thankyou for all your advice and we are definately coming to victoria, Australia if granted visas. Just one more thing any idea how long the process takes roughly

thankyou once again

Lisa

Well keep in touch and let us know how it is going. I can't give you any idea about times I am afraid as we went via a 457 visa and applied for PR once we got that through employer sponsorship and are still waiting (should be a few more months). You can usually allow around a year from what I have heard but it depends on how easy you find it to collect all of the information that they need for the TRA as that seems to be most people's sticking point especially with apprentiships etc.

Use this time well to get as much information as possible especially about any trade requirements for your husband once you all get here. Check out trade associations etc in Melbourne and see whether they can give you any info, also there may be some tilers in Melbourne that can give you more specific info.

Are you planning to use a migration agent? Many people that I have spoken to swear by them it just depends on how straightforward your application is.

Good luck with it all.

Nicky :D

Guest snowflake

hi there

we are going to use a migration agent, just waiting for all the paperwork should as the contract at so on, our kids carnt wait to come, just hope that the people are very friendly out there, if we end up in the sam area we will have to arrange to meet up or something.

thanks bye for now :)

lisa

Archived