advice/help please

clan mac

Hi

We are the McKnight family from Glasgow and we are hoping to move to sunny Oz. We looked into this 2 years ago and visited Australia for a reccie, unfortunately when we returned from our holiday, the housing market had collapsed and we would have been unable to sell our home. We never gave up on our dream and as things are showing some sign of recovery we are now again looking into what we need to do.

We have made an initial enquiry with thinking Australia who have advised we may qualify for a 475 visa. I work in social care (mental health and homeless services) and my hubby is a project manager. Ian is a time served joiner who has been in construction management for the last 8 years or so, he does have a construction management qualification but not a degree. My questions are this - Anyone had any problems with this agent or know of any problems? I have read various threads on many forums about people getting ripped off for dudd info but i must stress not with this agent. What are the pitfalls of this particular visa? Again I have read about not having medical cover with this visa!!!!! OMG I have 2 children and this is obviously a cause for concern if we would be left without any medical cover. Any advice would be appreciated

grateful thanks clan mac

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi dan mac

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Please start here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

The three documents above will tell you what you actually do in Strine terms!

I work in social care (mental health and homeless services)......

This is far too vague, hen!

The SOL (the first document) is just a list of job-titles but it gives you somewhere to start. The ASRI list (the second document) provides a bit more information about each of the occupations on the SOL, tells you the points for each occupation and tells you which skills authority is involved for migration purposes. It also tels you whiich formal qualifications are required because nowadays those are essential.

Both of the first two documents are taken from the ASCO Code, which is the third one above. The 6 digit numbering in all 3 is taken from the ASCO Code, so it is the same in all 3. The ASCO Code tells you what detailed tasks are involved for each occupation and the DIAC staff use ASCO to decide what you actually do for a living.

The possible occupations for you range from Social Worker to things like Disabilities Services Officer etc. I assume that you do not have a degree, so that we are considering a 40 point occupation, which in turn leads to the subclass 475 visa suggested by your agents.

The 40 point occupations require an AQF Diploma as a minimum. The British equivalents are NVQ4, SVQ4 or an HND. Which do you hold and is it relevant to what you currently do for a living?

Your proposed agents are not Registered Migration Agents. They do have an RMA in tow, out in Australia. She is called a "consultant" to the business. What does that mean, exactly? I would ask the RMA direct about that so that you get no flannel. Does the RMA woman have specific Professional Indemnity insurance for her work as a "consultant" to this firm? To what extent would she have personal care and control of your case? Would she be a party to the contract so that you can complain about her to the OMARA and/or sue her direct if the whole thing goes wrong? And so on.

Have your agents in the UK explained to you that for a 40 point occupation in whichever field is relevant to you, the pre-application skills authority would be Vetassess? If not, they are and Vetassess changed all their rules on 1st January 2010. Their new arrangements are here:

Applying for a general professional occupation - VETASSESS

Nominating an occupation (General professional occupation) - VETASSESS

You MUST read that second page carefully, please, because the 40 point occupations are now in Group C, I believe, unless you have a relevant degree that would get you in under one of the occupations in Group A?

Because of the document below (and the pecking orders and timeframes described in it) you will need State sponsorship if possible:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

Having identified your occupation, you have to work out which States are sponsoring for it if possible. The fast, reliable link to all the State/Territory websites is below:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Having worked out which States would be interested in you, we come on to your own questions:

Again I have read about not having medical cover with this visa!!!!! OMG I have 2 children and this is obviously a cause for concern if we would be left without any medical cover. Any advice would be appreciated

You would not get full Medicare on a subclass 475 visa but you are British. Therefore you would be entitled to take advantage of the Oz/UK Reciprocal Health Care Agreement for partial Medicare cover:

Visitors to Australia - Medicare Australia

You also need to check with the Department of Education in the State concerned in order to find out whether State education for your children would be free and if not, how much that would cost, please. This varies from one State to the next so you do need to check specifically.

Ian is a time served joiner who has been in construction management for the last 8 years or so, he does have a construction management qualification but not a degree.

Mmmm. The occupation is here:

Construction Project Manager 1191-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Again, you need to read the new Vetassess documents carefully in order to work out what is what.

Cheers

Gill

Guest lexylou

Hi Clan Mac,

Just wanted to say hello and good luck with your application. We are awaiting the outcome of OH's skills assessment then we will be applying for a 175 visa. We notice that you live near us.

All the best,

lexylou

Archived