Gap year Down Under! Much better than Iceland...

Guest NiomiJay

Guest NiomiJay

This is posted on the "Younger Ones" forum too; but it just get as many views as this particular forum, so I posted it here as well!

Okay; so I was thinking that rather than obsessing over the fact that I'm trying to get everyone to consider emigrating to Oz for the sake of family and friends, I thought that a gap year after my studies was the better, more sensible option.

I spoke to Mum about me and my sister taking a gap year to Melbourne & Adelaide for a couple a weeks or so, and she was all for it - I have the money for a return ticket, but just not the experience of being alone, or working (I could stay longer than a couple of weeks, so I might get a job there). She said that as long I have a suitable job over here and I'm earning enough money to maybe support myself a little for food and transport once I'm over there, then she was fine with the idea! She said; "it's good to have a goal in life, no matter how extreme it is".

Of course, I did some research beforehand, I found I could afford air travel, but I haven't looked into the possibilty of car travel- I'll be turning 17 this coming Monday, 11th January, and I realize that lessons will be expensive, all the more reason for me to get a job. I'm also not sure that if I do get my lisence, will it be valid down under?

Oh yeah, the Iceland thing! I mentioned this beacuse the price for a return ticket for Melbourne is roughly £600 (you can correct me if I'm wrong, though I hope it's not over £1800, that's all I have!) and there is a far limit to how long I can stay, but before the gap year to Oz was decided, my Geology teacher introduced that will be places for a trip to Iceland this March; six days for £750!! Which is better? I'd much rather stay with my family and friends a thousand miles away from home, than cramped in three star hotel with nothing more than a sleeping bag and a couple of layers; what do you think? Ha.

So yeah; I'm not sure when the trip will go ahead, it'll be sometime after a finish sixth form - regardless of good grades or not, because I'm hoping to do a course in college on Animal Care before I even think about University! Sometime in the Summer - and yes, I know it'll be there Winter when I get there (I learnt that the hard way went I went all those years ago, those whom have read my previous threads will understand, meep!). So it'll wrapped in layers upon layers with a piping cup o' Milo and a stack of veggiemite, syrup, sugar and lemon pancakes! Who knows? Maybe I'll stay a little longer - might find a job, new friends, old friendships rekindled; I might even further encourage my family to finally emigrate if I find enough reasons to stay, the'll have to follow me someday! Heh heh.

Look out Gaynor, Gill, Pat, Andrew, Josh, Finn, Lauren, Macy, Mia, Renae, Hollie, Greg, Tony, Wendy and Steve! I'm coming back!!

:hug:

Archived