Changes to Airline Prohibited Items List With Australian Airports

Guest proud2beaussie

Guest proud2beaussie

Latest Qantas News 29 December 2009

Changes to Airline Prohibited Items List With Australian Airports

The Federal Government has introduced a change to the Aviation Transport Security Regulations to allow a number of items that were previously prohibited.

From 25 December 2009 the following items may now be taken through security screening points and into the sterile area of airports within Australia:

- umbrellas with metal points

- knitting and crochet needles

- pointed metal nail files (including nail clippers)

- corkscrews, and

- racquets used in squash, tennis, badminton or any other sport.

In addition to the above items, the Government will also allow metal cutlery, including metal knives with rounded ends and no sharp points, to be provided in the sterile area of airports for use by persons in landside security zones, or on an aircraft for use by persons on the aircraft.

Persons who wish to enter a sterile area will not be permitted to pass through the screening point with a metal cutlery knife, in the same way they have not been permitted to do so in the past.

Items that continue to remain prohibited include: knives, firearms, letter openers, scissors, baseball and cricket bats, golf clubs and hockey sticks.

The changes are designed to minimise disruptions for passengers while still ensuring security screeners continue to focus their full attention on items that pose serious security risks for Australian aviation.

Guest Gollywobbler

Har!

I remember when I was a kid! Our boarding school insisted on Full School Uniform when we got on the plane in London or got off it in London. Apparently School Uniform would save us from both hijackers and sharks, though it was difficult to imagine how....

The School Uniform included a stiff, straw boater of the type seen at Henley Regatta.

To start with, the planes didn't have overhead luggage bins - just those open racks like on trains. My boater fell out a few tmes and the edges of the brim got a bit chipped but it was minor.

Then they introduced lids for the racks. Someone slammed the luggage locker lid and crushed the lid of my boater, which was then in a pretty sorry state, I admit.

I decided that Dad didn't deserve the cost of a new one (prolly pricey) since it wasn't his bloody silly idea to cart the thing onto a plane in the first place.

So I mended it - with sellotape. It looked a right mess but the sello held it together.

I was told, "That hat is a disgrace." I replied, "I agree but it wasn't my stupid idea to turn the hat into an international traveller. That was your idea so you live with it, Ma'am."

She didn't dare to demand that Dad should buy me another one....

Cheers

Gill

Archived