Sending just a box or two back...?

Guest zonnet

Hi! I had a look around and saw a lot of information about sending back huge containers full of stuff but was wondering, does anyone have an experience with sending back just a box or two? Basically, I want to bring back a lot of books and the like (nothing fragile) and am trying to find the best way of doing this. Australia Post tells me between $100-$150 for surface mail, up to 20kg. Is there anything cheaper that anyone knows of?

I have the same issue as you. I wanted to send one or two boxes over, just with some books, bits and pieces and dvds and such over. But it works out quite expensive, so I decided that I will just rebuy what I can, and leave the other stuff here with a friend until I feel I can justify sending it over.

Guest siamsusie
I have the same issue as you. I wanted to send one or two boxes over, just with some books, bits and pieces and dvds and such over. But it works out quite expensive, so I decided that I will just rebuy what I can, and leave the other stuff here with a friend until I feel I can justify sending it over.

Ho Woofy, did you try Seven Seas Shipping Excess Baggage Worldwide - Need baggage Shipping to another country?

Or Excess Luggage Australia. Shipping Companies London, International Shipping Companies UK, Shipping Companies in London

May I wish you a wonderful future back in the Uk.:wubclub: love Susie x

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie, you're a gem. I will have to look into those.

hugs, Matt.

Just looked for an invoice from them

London, Greater London, United Kingdom Delivering To Karratha, State of Western Australia, Australia Required Type of Service Door to Door Required Mode of Transportation Sea Required Cartons 1 x Tea Chest (61cm x 51cm x 41cm) Maximum allowable weight 40 kg per CartonThat cost me :

Tea chest GDP 75.00

Delivery GDP 90.00 bear in mind I am 1600 kms from Perth so thats much more expensive.

I thought for 40k that was good value. Its trackable, I usually receive my boxes within 6-8 weeks and its a brilliant service from them. I highly recommend.

The was from Sevenseas Matt, and I find I can haggle on many occasions as well, particularly if you are living in a city !

Hugs Susie x:hug:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what prices their quotes give me :)

...wow seven seas is way too expensive, hopefully the other isn't or I'll have to post them!

Guest vidal1974

I am in the same position. I have decided to send only my daughters things home, very likely Aust post as it only takes approx 10 days and she is only 16 months, so it would be best that she had her familiar things around her as much as possible both ends of the globe!

I have decided (out of sheer desperation) that I shall have to cope with whatever I can fit into my case and be done with it....After all, just things right? :(

Guest treesea

What about sending it as unaccompanied baggage? You need your ticket to send it, but just put it through the freight office instead of booking it in at check in. It's heaps cheaper than excess baggage. We just sent the excesss on a few days earlier and then picked it up at the airport at the other end when we got there. It didn't seem overly expensive.

Guest zonnet
What about sending it as unaccompanied baggage? You need your ticket to send it, but just put it through the freight office instead of booking it in at check in. It's heaps cheaper than excess baggage. We just sent the excesss on a few days earlier and then picked it up at the airport at the other end when we got there. It didn't seem overly expensive.

How do I do that? I mean, where is this freight office, do I have to organise anything in advance? And do you recall how much it cost?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest treesea

It depends on the airline. I think from memory it was around $1.80 a kilo on Qantas, but that was a few years ago. We left via Melbourne and just went through the Qantas freight office there. I went out a few hours before and sent it all on the same day we travelled. You do have to have a UK address though to send it to. We had already arranged a rental before we got to the UK, so just sent it onto the rental. It didn't come until around a week after we got here.

A friend of ours just came through to England from Melbourne. He used World Baggage, they're on the web, an Australian company, so ".com.au" at the end, probably. He said they charged him around $4 a kilo plus a handling charge which he thought was quite paltry, so, if you are travelling on a cheaper airline, this might be a better bet. I don't think you need an address with them, because he had to go out to Heathrow and clear them himself when they arrived.

Archived