Bridging Visa B urgent question

Guest puffa6

Hi, i am sorry if this questioned has been asked before....

I am going to apply for a bridging visa b as my dad just had a serious operation. On the application form it says visa B will cease after 28 days but as i understand i can stay offshore for 88 days or something like that.

So does that mean within 28 days i need to fly back to Australia and apply for another B or can i reapply/renew overseas after 28 days (with authorized agent/department) ? I'll need to go home for about 2.5 - 3 months and i think thats maximum i am allowed.

I did my research but not too sure form 1005 about changing condition/visa can be used offshore ?

Its saturday today and i will send the form on monday, can anyone tell me how long i should expect to get the visa ? also is it electronic for i need to have it labeled on my passport ?

Thank you in advance.

Guest siamsusie

I am going to apply for a bridging visa b as my dad just had a serious operation. On the application form it says visa B will cease after 28 days but as i understand i can stay offshore for 88 days or something like that.

So does that mean within 28 days i need to fly back to Australia and apply for another B or can i reapply/renew overseas after 28 days (with authorized agent/department) ? I'll need to go home for about 2.5 - 3 months and i think thats maximum i am allowed.

I did my research but not too sure form 1005 about changing condition/visa can be used offshore ?

Its saturday today and i will send the form on monday, can anyone tell me how long i should expect to get the visa ? also is it electronic for i need to have it labeled on my passport ?

Thank you in advance.

Puffa:hug: sorry to hear your father is ill, what a worry! You are in the Uk? Yes? Hopefully one of the RMA's will pick this post up today Puffa and would be able to advise you. I hope Dad makes a speedy recovery ...Love Susie x:wubclub:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Puffa

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I am terribly sorry to hear that your poor pa is not well.

You are obviously in Australia or you would not need to consider obtaining a Bridging Visa B.

Whereabouts in Oz are you, which country do you need to get to and which visa are you awaiting that you need a Bridging Visa B in order to leave Oz, please?

You really need to speak with a DIAC Manager urgently - one who knows about Bridging Visas.

Given that all the DIAC city centre offices are closed, I suggest that you contact the DIAC team at the nearest international airport - the one you will be travelling out of. Please see this link:

Directory.gov.au

If the on-line directory doesn't help, how far is it to the airport? Would it be feasible for you to go there and make a fuss until you can get the local DIAC manager at the airport to come to your aid? You need to get the Bridging Visa B before you leave Australia. The DIAC staff at the airport must have a contact number for somebody who can deal with the BV B as an emergency application if they are unable to deal with it themselves.

The theory with a Bridging Visa B is that you must not spend more than 88 days outside Australia. However this situation is clearly an emergency and there are compelling and compassionate grounds for ignoring the usual rules. I would not worry about that bit because DIAC are normally very helpful in this sort of situation. The problem is going to lie in cutting enough red tape to get the BV B with the utmost urgency.

Please tell us where you are so that we can put our heads together and provide some more concrete, useful help.

Cheers

Gill

Thank you very much for your replies Susie and Gill...

My dad in Vietnam had an operation last week but he asked everyone not to tell me because he didn't want me to worry too much, then i rang home few days ago and my brother said he was in the hospital recovering... he told me that the worst scenario which is having one of the kidneys cut is out so that was at least good news....

Like Gill said i am in Queensland, Australia, holding bridging visa A and waiting for my general skilled 485 visa. I applied online early Feb but still on the list and no one knows how long its going to take.

I am now in a terrible situation: i rent a room and live with a Chinese family and they are currently in New York visiting their grandparents for Christmas and will be back on the 31st Dec. So I'm looking after the house for them while they're away. That means I can't go home before that day so I aim to travel within the first week of Jan.

I guess while waiting for them to get back I'll need to get the hospital paperwork translated and certified to make a valid proof, and then mail it to the department with my application form for bridging visa B. This i think may take few days could be a week, is there any faster way of getting this done ?

Any help is much much appreciated.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Puffa

I guess while waiting for them to get back I'll need to get the hospital paperwork translated and certified to make a valid proof, and then mail it to the department with my application form for bridging visa B. This i think may take few days could be a week, is there any faster way of getting this done ?

There must be a faster way of getting a Bridging Visa B. Are you anywhere near Brisbane Airport?

I've sent a private message to George Lombard, a very experienced Registered Migration Agent who helps with Poms in Oz. He was on line a couple of hours ago and the Poms in Oz software will send him an e-mail. I'm in the UK but if the agents who help with Poms in Oz (who are mostly in Oz) don't respond to you during the next eight hours or so, I'll contact some more of them as soon as I am up and about in the morning, which will be 26th December here.

Cheers

Gill

Thank you in advance.

If you go to any DIAC office and you are eligible they will issue you with a bridging visa B over the counter and explain the conditions. You would normally be expected to hold a bridging A which would have been automatically granted if you have applied for a visa that can be granted in Australia. Your bridging A will be no longer be effective once you depart Australia and would have to be renewed when you return.

Hi Puffa,

Gill managed to track me down by PM. Hopefully she can use her administrator privileges to tell you about this post.

The form 1006 is used for a BVB. Your eligibility for a BVB depends on you holding a BVA in the first place, ie I assume you've got a valid onshore application in processing. If not, BVB doesn't come into play.

The best approach is to visit a DIAC office holding a completed form 1006, details of your current application, and some basic evidence (could even be an email from home) concerning the circumstances. The BVB lasts until the visa you've applied for has been granted (or another 28 days after the decision if the application is refused) and is generally valid for a specified period of overseas travel, which can be a maximum of two months in many cases but sometimes - particularly for onshore graduate applicants - as long as six months these days.

As mentioned, best to attend a DIAC office in person.

Wesley's post mentions getting a BVA reinstated, and certainly that is a possibility if an emergency does not give you the time to make an application for a BVB and you are eligible for some other visa allowing you to re-enter Australia (ETA or eVisitor visa) but obviously the application could be refused if a decision-maker reached your file while you were overseas. This week DIAC is only going to be open for two days, good luck! If you cannot make contact with DIAC before you leave then please get Gill to contact me with your details and I will pass on your circumstances to the relevant office.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest siamsusie

:hug:Puffa, I am so sad to hear of this and I sincerely hope you manage to get things settled quickly. Great you have some wonderful advice above, I sincerely hope that your father recovers quickly hugs:hug: Susie xx

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi George

Very many thanks indeed for responding to Puffa, who is somewhere in QLD.

Puffa says that (she, I suspect) lodged an on-line application for a sc 485 visa early in Feb 2009 but neither Puffa or I know how long those take to process. Does Puffa have to be in Oz in order for a 485 visa to be granted, I wonder?

Many, many thanks again:notworthy:

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Puffa

I saw that you were online for a while yesterday evening UK time. Hopefully you will see this thread again in the next two hours.

The nearest DIAC office will be open on Wednesday and Thursday this week. The addresses of the offices in QLD are here:

Australian Offices

Form 1006, which George has described to you, is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1006.pdf

I am very encouraged to learn from George that DIAC are being fairly relaxed about how long people awaiting onshore visas can spend outside Australia when the circumstances demand it, which yours clearly do.

Don't worry about the house you are looking after. If you ask the neighbours, I'm sure they will keep an eye on it for you.

George's website (with his contact details) is here:

Visa Info | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

There is an e-mail address for him on the website if you need it (or he might even be in his office on Wednesday and Thursday) or the Poms in Oz software will send him an e-mail via the link below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/george-lombard.html

Please stay in touch and let us know how you get on. I'm very relieved to hear that your father is not in immediate danger. Please tell him that everyone on Poms in Oz sends best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cheers

Gill

what can i say... thank you all sooo much for all the advices, i really didn't expect this before i posted the question.

Gill and Susie, I will sure tell my dad about you all and I know he would love thank you as much as I do.

George, thank you for the information. I got BVA when I lodged my application online for 485 so I'm sure its still valid. I got the original hospital evidence scanned and emailed to a registered NATTI professional translator since DIAC only accepts NATTI translation.

The thing is that I'm pretty sure I need the actual translation with stamp on it but obviously it will take few days to get to me by mail as public holidays are on (eventhough he is also in QLD) so I may try my luck ask him to scan the translation with his stamp, print it out and go to a DIAC office and see if they think its good enough. I will definately do it on either Thursday or Wednesday hopefully they wil grant me one straightaway...

I visited a DIAC office today, the officer asked me some questions then looked at my application then gave me a BVB label... didn't even look at the evidence i had... It went so well took less than an hour to get my visa... I am more than happy now. I was clearly explained that I can not arrive after 3 months, so in this case thats all i am allowed to travel for.

She also let me know that my 485 application was first looked at today and located to a case officer (hows that for timing) , He sent an email requiring some documents like passport page and transcripts which I already scanned and attached online... so I attached again, explained my situation and hopefully he will be kind enough to give me my 485 soooon ... It is best if I can travel with my 485 since there's no day limitation that i can spend overseas.

I will book my ticket very soon and expect to travel after next week, after getting things done before i leave...

All I can say is thank you all so much, Gill, George, Susie.... I would'd have a clue without the advices and information you gave me.... so again, thank you thank you thank you.

I would like to wish you all a very happy and safe new year, hope that people out there like me can see this theard so they know what to do to be able to travel and see their families.

Guest siamsusie
I visited a DIAC office today, the officer asked me some questions then looked at my application then gave me a BVB label... didn't even look at the evidence i had... It went so well took less than an hour to get my visa... I am more than happy now. I was clearly explained that I can not arrive after 3 months, so in this case thats all i am allowed to travel for.

She also let me know that my 485 application was first looked at today and located to a case officer (hows that for timing) , He sent an email requiring some documents like passport page and transcripts which I already scanned and attached online... so I attached again, explained my situation and hopefully he will be kind enough to give me my 485 soooon ... It is best if I can travel with my 485 since there's no day limitation that i can spend overseas.

I will book my ticket very soon and expect to travel after next week, after getting things done before i leave...

All I can say is thank you all so much, Gill, George, Susie.... I would'd have a clue without the advices and information you gave me.... so again, thank you thank you thank you.

I would like to wish you all a very happy and safe new year, hope that people out there like me can see this theard so they know what to do to be able to travel and see their families.

Puffa, I am delighted for you and I wish you a safe journey to Vietnam and so many best wishes for your father's speedy recovery. Please dont be a stranger, come back and give us some good news.:hug: Susie xx

• 11 months later...

Hi, I got a briding Visa B to travel and I stayed more than the allowed 90 days due to a medical issue. As I was not even able to contact the DIAC before the visa expired.

I have been studying in melbourne for 3 years and was waiting for temporary graduate skilled visa 485 before coming.

I contacted DIAC over phone and was told I will need a new visa to get back and contact the local embassy about it.

I have found from experience the DIAC in person is lot more helpful than over than phone. But this time I can't possible reach a DIAC in person without a visa.

To have a visa like I had three months back, I will have to apply now and wait for atleast 24 months.

I know this is an exceptional case, and like to know if you know anything that can help me get back on my previous visa as soon as possible.

Archived