ID verification

Tarby777

Hi all,

Having an absolute 'mare trying to find a high street bank that is prepared to fill in the form and certify copies of my ID documents so that I can get my Westpac bank account fully up and running before I leave the UK.

They either won't do it (for anyone) because they're scared of comeback, won't do it for me because I'm not a customer, will verify the ID but won't fill in the Westpac form... endless excuses. I know I can visit Westpac in London and do it myself (which, at this rate, I will do) or do it when I arrive in Oz but I want to get it all sorted with a local high street bank if I can.

Has anyone actually managed to do this? Which bank did it for you? Were you a customer of theirs?

TIA

Tarby

In the 'old days' it was common for banks to provide a 'letter of introduction' so i dont see what their problem is. However, you need to speak to a bank manager - not the pleb on the counter. They can do it. I know cos my best mate is one and he did all of the certifyng for me. All they do is stamp it and sign it. it only takes 5 mins. Go to a bigger branch of your bank if one is near. If they can do multiple copies that helps too of other documents like qualification certificates, passport/visa etc.

I got my ANZ bank account sorted out with no fuss online/London office before i left. However, NAB and Bank west have accounts with no fees at all so it might be worthwhile trying them. Also get a UK credit card. I;ve been here a year and still cannot get an aussie one coz i am on a temp visa (their excuse) and you get treated like scum, despite having had a credit card for 20 years , anda mortgage !!!

Guest Burness2Oz

We fly out 31st December and opened an account here with Westpac which seems good and easy to open but struggled like you so gave up and will just order debit cards etc when we get there. We are taking $8k cash to get started with while waiting for the cards as we need odd bits like Fridge Freezer which is cheaper for cash anyway. We have transferred our other money into our Westpac account so it is cleared and ready to use when we get there just over the counter only untilt he cards come.

Good luck

Archived