advice on Harris Park

Guest calirina

Guest calirina

Hi guys

I want to buy a one bedroom unit. what I can afford is not in good areas. It’s either far or a bad suburb like Auburn. What kind of suburb is Harris Park? I chose it because it might be affordable, close to the city, Parramatta mall nearby. Is it a suburb to avoid living in because of collisions between ethnic groups, robberies, addicts? is it dangerous to walk after 8pm? Please tell me what’s wrong with Harris Park? Or is it not so bad? Replies are highly welcome especially from people living in Harris Park.

Thanx

Ira

Guest Nikkers

Hmmm... personally, I wouldn't buy there. Harris Park has changed over the years and yes, you're right - there has been a lot of ethnic clashes lately. I certainly wouldn't feel safe walking around there in the dark. However, I'd feel a bit safer at Rosehill, which is just up the road. Have you considered North Parramatta, Northmead, Pennant Hills and the like?

Guest calirina

Thank you for your reply. I heard Pennant Hills is a nice leafy area. But I didn’t find anything there I could afford now. From Rosehill it takes 40-50 minutes to get to the Central station by train though it’s not far from the city. North Parramatta might be a better area but again it’s quite remote from Parramatta station. I would have to take a bus first.

I understand that you don’t live in Harris Park yourself. How do you know about it’s not safe in Harris Park? From Internet and media? Or do you have friends living there?

Guest calirina

Thank you for your reply. I heard Pennant Hills is a nice leafy area. But I didn’t find anything there I could afford now. From Rosehill it takes 40-50 minutes to get to the Central station by train though it’s not far from the city. North Parramatta might be a better area but again it’s quite remote from Parramatta station. I would have to take a bus first.

I understand that you don’t live in Harris Park yourself. How do you know about it’s not safe in Harris Park? From Internet and media? Or do you have friends living there?

Guest Nikkers

Hi Calirina, I work at the Harris Park end of Parramatta and have had for 5 years (prior to a stint in the Sydney CBD, I worked in Parra for 4 years). I also have family who live in the Parramatta area and my father grew up there. I'm very familiar with the area and whilst I've never lived at Harris Park, I've worked with people who have and they weren't happy to stay there and subsequently left. I was actually considering moving there myself earlier this year but what put me off was the increasing racial unrest and the fact that myself and a few of my workmates used to park our cars around there to avoid paying for parking (Parramatta is a costly place to park, like everywhere else in Sydney) and all of us at one stage or another had an incident where we were harrassed or intimidated by a thug/thugs and this was all in broad daylight. To be quite honest, I really hate walking anywhere near the station and shops at Harris Park and refuse to anymore, unless I'm with a group of people. I'm not trying to scare you off the area but my experiences walking around the station and shops haven't done anything to make me recommend it or feel safe (they have great restaurants and beautiful heritage houses, which I certainly recommend). However, in saying that, whilst I feel most uncomfortable at the station end of Harris Park, there are some nice units towards the Rosehill end too. It might be worthwhile Googling crime rates in Harris Park and I'd also be very interested to read reviews from people who have lived there recently. I hope my review is helpful in a good way. Whilst there are certainly plusses to living in Harris Park (proximity to Parramatta CBD, Westfield and and train station, nice restaurants, historic houses, Rosehill race course) - I just wouldn't feel comfortable recommending an area to you that I have experienced feeling particularly unsafe in.

Archived