Bridging Visa?

Guest jim560

hi,

i have been told that my new job in melbourne is to start asap, however i believe that as of yet no paper work has been submitted by the employer to diac. they have asked me to move out begining of jan and asure me all paper work will be taken care of. They like i have been holding off putting any in until all details of the position were finalised. my only concern is going out on a normal tourist visa and then not being able to work. i know the offer is genuine as have already been given contract and somewhere to live for my wife and i as part of the package. has anyone had any dealing of bridging visa's when goining onto a 457? any answers would be grately appreciated.

cheers

j

Guest wanderer

We're only just over halfway into November and many businesses other than retail/tourism/realestate kind of just about grind to a halt from Xmas for a few weeks so starting early January may not be so essential and I'd not be doing it on a tourist visa, and no point in a bridging visa.

Tell them to pull their finger out if it's so essential for you to be there not that they shouldn't be able to get a 457 done in plenty of time as long as they/the position meet eligibility requirements and without a 457 ask them will they be explaining to DIAC just why you're turning up on a tourist visa, not that they'll do you any good with DIAC.

To the best of my knowledge a Bridging Visa would not kick in until your tourist visa expires and the shortest tourist visa you can get lasts 3 months. You are not allowed to work on a tourist visa and your Bridging Visa would be issued under the same terms as your tourist visa so you won't be allowed to work unless you are experiencing financial hardship and for that you have to ask for permission.

You can work on a Working Holiday Visa (subject to conditions) and that may be what they were thinking of when they advised you to come over on a holiday visa, however, you need to be 30 or under to get one of those.

I'd recommend thinking it through and having a good look through the information on the DIAC's Web site to get your bearings. Your 457 might be granted quickly in which case you wouldn't have to worry about a Bridging Visa or not being able to work. Or it might take months to get your 457. Either way it would be better to enter Australia with the 457 in hand and I hope that is what happens for you.

Last but not least a tourist visa is for people coming over here for a holiday and you can be turned away at the airport if they think you are here for another reason other than that stated on your visa.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Archived