Australian citizenship question

Guest TK250

Hi! this is my first post here although I have been "lurking" and reading the posts for quite a while. This forum has given me lots of valuable knowledge while going through my visa application process (175 GSM, granted in July 2009). Now I've got the following question which I hope somebody can help me with.

I'm wondering when will I become eligible for the Australian citizenship. I'm aware of the citizenship tool on the DIAC website that should give me the timeline based on duration of my residency in Australia, but I'm not sure if it is specific enough for my situation. So, my timeline:

1. Sept. 2006, enter Australia as temporary resident (457)

2. Sept 2008 the 457 visa ceases and I apply for onshore tourist visa (676). Do not leave the country.

3. Stay in Australia on the 676 visa until April 2009

4. Leave Australia and stay overseas from April 2009 to October 2009 (7 months)

5. November 2009 enter Australia as permanent resident (175)

So assuming I will not leave Australia again until December 2010, will I become eligible for the citizenship in December 2010?

Or to rephrase my question, will my stay in Australia on the 676 visa count towards the 4 years residency requirement? i'm assuming that it doesn't, but still wanted to check it.

Thank you!

So assuming I will not leave Australia again until December 2010, will I become eligible for the citizenship in December 2010?

Or to rephrase my question, will my stay in Australia on the 676 visa count towards the 4 years residency requirement? i'm assuming that it doesn't, but still wanted to check it.

Thank you!

The time on the 676 will count.

Under the current regulations short absences do not stop the clock, up to 3 months in the next 12 would be ok.

Archived