Citizenship - Not Happy

Ses

I telephoned the Australian Citizenship department today to see when my husband and I would be eligible for Citizenship.

Our Visa was granted 10/01/07 (Went with Go Matilda - Fantastic Company)

Validated 12/03/07

Due to our property not selling in time we actually arrived to live on 24/09/08

We believed that we could apply for citizenship in 2 years but on speaking to the Citizenship they informed me that we would not be eligible to apply until 9 October 2011!! Am not a happy bunny!!

Has anyone else had this done to them? Wonder if Alan Collette has any ideas.

Many thanks

Guest JoanneHattersley

You become eligible for citizenship from the moment you put a foot in Oz. Date of entry is the date that they go by. There is a certain amount of time that yuo have to have lived in Oz for citizenship. You get your visa on 01/07, validate 03/07, If you entered before July 07 (I think) you would meet the 2 year wait. As you entered after it is 4 years.

Lots of people are in this boat but the plus side is you have your visa and you are here!!!

WHy the concern over a 4 year wait?????

Guest proud2beaussie

I hope you didn't have to wait to long on the phone to them because there is a new citizenship wizard on the web where you enter the date that you were granted your visa and the date you entered Australia etc and it gives you the date that you will be eligible to apply.

The address is Australian Citizenship Wizard.

Guest Guest31881
I telephoned the Australian Citizenship department today to see when my husband and I would be eligible for Citizenship.

Our Visa was granted 10/01/07 (Went with Go Matilda - Fantastic Company)

Validated 12/03/07

Due to our property not selling in time we actually arrived to live on 24/09/08

We believed that we could apply for citizenship in 2 years but on speaking to the Citizenship they informed me that we would not be eligible to apply until 9 October 2011!! Am not a happy bunny!!

Has anyone else had this done to them? Wonder if Alan Collette has any ideas.

Many thanks

Hi i got the following from their web site, it all hinges on when you became a PR.

I hope this helps

If you became a permanent resident before 1 July 2007, and apply on or before 30 June 2010, you must:

• have been living in Australia for two years as a permanent resident in the five years immediately before applying, including one year in the two years immediately before applying.

If you became a permanent resident on or after 1 July 2007 you must:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying, including one year as a permanent resident, and

• not have been absent from Australia for more than one year, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes sorry but they are right. As Joanne has said why the rush all that is different is that they make you vote lol.

I know, was just gutted as I wanted it all sorted. Even though we validated in March 07 that does not count for anything as we had to go back to the UK to sell our house and didn't arrive back till Sept 08 so therefore won't be eligible to apply on or before 30 June 2010 as have not been here a full 2 years (couple of months off).

Hey ho - Like you said, at least we are here! Have been here just over a year now and have got to say that I love it. There hasn't been a day that I have not said to myself how much I love this place. As to home-sickness - with skype it has been a breeze. Went back to the UK in April (sudden death in family), That was hard and you do realise how far away you are - Was glad to get back here though. Going back at Christmas - can't beat Christmas with all the trimmings in the cold - will be nice to catch up, then back here for the summer - recon we are going to freeze though!

Guest proud2beaussie

Bit of a bummer for you I guess but you will get there in the end,I know 2011 seems a long way off but I reckon you will find that time flies when you are having fun downunder.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers

Thanks Nigel - time does fly when you are having fun!

Aldo, is not that really important but as it has been a long journey I was happy at the thought of only waiting 2 years to become a citizen - no more paperwork and hoops to jump etc - then to be told that I had to wait till 2011 - it is a bummer.

Thanks Nigel - time does fly when you are having fun!

Aldo, is not that really important but as it has been a long journey I was happy at the thought of only waiting 2 years to become a citizen - no more paperwork and hoops to jump etc - then to be told that I had to wait till 2011 - it is a bummer.

do citizens get preference on things like benefits or anything or is it for other reasons.

Not looking for a row, just curious.

Archived