renting in melbourne...advice please

Ratchet

I think we are looking in the wrong places for accomadation......So far ive discovered that melbourne is a bloody expensive place to live:eek: how do folk get by?? please do tell me.

we have to go with renting first until we know our stay is likely to be permenant, so weve gone with the veiw of, if we like the look of somewhere, can we afford to buy in the area after renting in the area. Every place we look, we can afford the rent, but buying far exceeds our budget. How is this so? Not sure if its sleep deprivation, but things are looking gloomy already.:wideeyed:

any advice out there??

Also, are there any site that can give us info on renting and buying property in oz? Would like to understand the system.

thanks in advance

If you go to the Metlink site Home - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria there is a map and shows the transport links, trains, trams etc out of the city. The closer in to the CBD the more expensive the property. The further out you go you will find there are homes you could afford.

If you go south or east you have to go a good way from the Central Business District, if you go west or north its not so far.

Where have you been looking.

We live on the Peninsula and that is over a hundred kilometres from the airport and about seventy km by road and e are at the top end.

Due to the demand and the high numbers of new people settling in Melbourne the prices seem to be staying up and even if they drop I guess it will not be that much. Would have to be a major drama to get them to drop a lot in my view and if that happened we are all stumped.

Realestate.com.au Domain.com.au

Thanks, have been reading a post about the West side of melbourne (Werribee area) ive had a look at domain and the houses appear to be more in our price range. if i can get hubby to wake up we can go out for a drive to have a look about the areas. (still have horrendua jet lag. up at 4am today.)

My main issues is that im going to be working in Richmond. havent got a problem travelling but wanted to keep it around the 30mins mark as i'll be on shifts. By the looks of it i dont have a choice about travelling. Its one of the things i wanted to get away from when back in the uk though. Hey ho cant win them all!

Guest Prickles83

Please let us know how you found different areas-

My husband is looking at a job in werribee so would be very interested to know how you found it

Archived