Is he already a citizen?

k8bug79

Hi, we are just starting to discuss the possibility of emmigrating to Australia. We were looking at the skilled migrant visa, but we have ust found out that my father in law is an Australian citizen as he was born over there but has lived all but one year of his life in the UK. My husband was born over here and has never been to Oz. We think he can apply for citizenship by ecent but what we don't know is whether by being born to a British mother and an Australian father does he already hold dual citizenship? Or would he have ahd to apply for the Australian citizenship?

:wacko:

If he has or does obtain citizenship what does that mean for me his wife and our 3 children? I presume we have to still apply for family Visas but will my husband have to apply fo rany type of Visa?

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Guest Impatient

He def does not have citizenship already, he would need to apply for it through one of the family visa routes. This may be a tick chase due to the family link, but Australia would have no record of him and hence he is not a citizen yet!

Your visa choices would follow acceptance of his citizenship - prob a fairly simple (these things never are simple though) spouse visa.

Take care and best of luck finding the family visa thingy you need.

Archived