Moving to Adelaide

Guest Mez10

Planning to move to Adelaide in Jan10, colleagues have recommended Glenelg and Brighton areas to live.

Anyone got any advice, info regarding these areas for house rentals, schools (5 & 7year olds) etc or any other areas suitable for families?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sazzle76
Planning to move to Adelaide in Jan10, colleagues have recommended Glenelg and Brighton areas to live.

Anyone got any advice, info regarding these areas for house rentals, schools (5 & 7year olds) etc or any other areas suitable for families?

Hi

We are going to Adelaide in 3 weeks time. Staying for a 6 week reccie in Brighton.

I have had a few replies to say Brighton is a good area so fingers crossed!

Our boys are 1.5 and 3.5 so not sure on schools.

I will post our reccie info on here when we return so I can give you more advise on the area.

Good luck - hope everything goes well for you and your family - any tips and advice is very welcome

Best wishes

Darren, Janet & family

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Brighton and Glenelg are both great areas to stay.

It's difficult to choose the right area...get here, short term rental, get a car and do some driving. Your circumstances (job location, travel, kids, schools, TAFE etc etc) will all determine where you want to live. The Hills have some stunning areas to live.

We live in Port Noarlunga. Google it and take a look at the beaches etc....and cheaper than Glenelg (look at the value of our Pound!).

Enjoy!

Tamara

Thanks Tamara,

Job location will be in the Kilburn area, with the company arranging for a short let until we find somewhere.

I think the schooling for the kids will be the main factor on where we live, contacting the schools etc will be next.

I can get to work on the Metro/train.

Things are going well (had medical), just waiting for job contract etc.

Thanks again

Darren, Janet & kids

Hi Darren/Janet

Just to let you know that Kilburn is to the North West of Adelaide, so if you do end up looking way down south in somewhere like Port Noarlunga you may well be condemning your OH to spending half his/her life in a car driving to and from work! Was talking to someone the other day whose OH works at Wingfield which is quite close to Kilburn, and from Happy Valley (which isn't as far south as Port Noarlunga) his journey could be anything up to 1.5 hours each way! That might sound acceptable coming from the UK but honestly, it's no fun stopping at traffic lights and driving at 60k for all that time!!

If you really like beachside areas, and can afford prices there, then Henley, Brighton and Glenelg are lovely, West Lakes is worth considering, or the northern beaches such as Semaphore, Largs etc.

If you don't mind maybe a 30 minute drive to the beach, consider some of the North Eastern suburbs - good transport links into the City, and easy commute along the Grand Junction Road to Kilburn, and a wide choice of prices/styles in the way of houses, as well as excellent school choices.

Have a look on a site such as Australian travel maps, street directory, driving directions & aerial photographs - Whereis.com and put in Kilburn, SA under the 'address' box, then zoom out and around to get an idea of distances. On Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au have a look at suburbs in and around Golden Grove, Athelstone, Modbury.

We're to the North East so if you need more information on any of the suburbs out this way, ask away!

Diane

Diane,

Thanks for the advise about Golden Grove, checked the rental prices and really surprised on what you get for your money.

Glenelg was recommended by friends, but we'd both like a bigger house (for family visits etc)

We'll be looking at the schools around that area now.

Thanks again

Darren & Janet

No problem, and if you do end up in Golden Grove or somewhere round there, remember to keep in touch and Janet can come along on our girls' nights out - we try and get together about once a month and meet at the Golden Grove Tavern! Usually post up details in the social section on Poms in Adelaide.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sacha and Dave

Hi all,

This is our first post just to introduce ourselves. Just been accepted for SAPOL and due to start April 2010 so it's all hands to the pump at the minute trying to sort everything out this end.

Don't know where I'm gonna be posted yet but know it will be somewhere in the Metropolitan area of Adelaide. Will find out early Jan 2010.

I'm coming over with my partner Sacha and 3 children Max 13, Mason12 and Milli 8.

I will probably be pestering for advice in the near future in relation to all sorts of things so I'm giving you all prior warning.

Adelaide sounds fantastic but will need to know nearer the time the kind of areas I should be looking at for a young family.Thanks for reading .

Dave and Sacha.

Guest Guest9973

No worries - welcome.

Have you tried our sister forum Poms In Adelaide???

That will be much more specific for info.........

PomsInAdelaide

We've just had a guest in for the October intake of SAPOL - he is a very experienced Custody Sergeant ( or summat like) - the 10 week course is like going right back to school - BUT- there are subtle differences so pay attention!

Are you subscribed to the Police Forum??.............

Police-Forum Portal

:biggrin:

Guest Sacha and Dave

Thanks for that Tyke. Do I take it from your username that your from the Gods country of Yorkshire originally.

I'm in the process of trying to get on the Police Forum but I've not managed it yet as I keep forgetting my password !!!

I will try the Poms in Adelaide forum as I'm gonna need all ther assistance I can get for this move.

Thanks again.

Dave and Sacha.

Guest Guest9973
Thanks for that Tyke. Do I take it from your username that your from the Gods country of Yorkshire originally.

I'm in the process of trying to get on the Police Forum but I've not managed it yet as I keep forgetting my password !!!

I will try the Poms in Adelaide forum as I'm gonna need all ther assistance I can get for this move.

Thanks again.

Dave and Sacha.

Well spotted - I am from GOC - Pudsey to be exact.

Not missing the metro areas at all I can tell ,most places seemed rougher on a recent visit.

The Balck Sheep Ale tasted as good as ever out in the Dales though:notworthy:

Dave & Sacha,

We are in the same 'boat' at the minute, i've been given a job offer (verbally) but just waiting for the formal letter. Then we can start planning the house sale, removal company etc.

We too will be pestering the forums for advise when the letter arrives.

The main issues are the schools (girls 5 & 7).

Hopefully we should be in Oz for late March or early April.

We'll keep in touch.

Darren & Janet

(I'm also from GOC)

Barnsley Tyke!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rodgeviper

Hi all,

I am in the process of s/s and Adelaide is our destination too, it'll be a few years yet but really looking forward to it.

My parnters mum moved out there 2 years ago from Leeds and loves it.

she's in Morphet vale which is nice and when we visited there where some nice areas like happy valley and christis beach, we also went out to mount barker and its surrounding areas.

I think like alot of other people have said the last thing you want to do is travel long hours but if your not working weekends then thats not so bad.

Im my trade you work weekends for usually 4 hours and thats what you dont want if youve got to travel.

we havent yet decided where we're got as where torn between beach and hills.

Manythanks

Roger

Guest Guest9973
Hi all,

I am in the process of s/s and Adelaide is our destination too, it'll be a few years yet but really looking forward to it.

My parnters mum moved out there 2 years ago from Leeds and loves it.

she's in Morphet vale which is nice and when we visited there where some nice areas like happy valley and christis beach, we also went out to mount barker and its surrounding areas.

I think like alot of other people have said the last thing you want to do is travel long hours but if your not working weekends then thats not so bad.

Im my trade you work weekends for usually 4 hours and thats what you dont want if youve got to travel.

we havent yet decided where we're got as where torn between beach and hills.

Manythanks

Roger

Hiya Roger,

We live just up the hill from Morphett Vale .,small world:wink:

Guest rodgeviper

Hi tyke,

we did go up the Onkaparinga Hills for a drive when taking my misses mum to work at Bethsalem retirement home, funny place that as you start on the outer house's and work your way into the main house lol there should have them like that over here lol.

we will more than likely stay around morphet vale but i must say i do like mt barker area and wistow.

Guest morganic
Hi all,

This is our first post just to introduce ourselves. Just been accepted for SAPOL and due to start April 2010 so it's all hands to the pump at the minute trying to sort everything out this end.

Don't know where I'm gonna be posted yet but know it will be somewhere in the Metropolitan area of Adelaide. Will find out early Jan 2010.

I'm coming over with my partner Sacha and 3 children Max 13, Mason12 and Milli 8.

I will probably be pestering for advice in the near future in relation to all sorts of things so I'm giving you all prior warning.

Adelaide sounds fantastic but will need to know nearer the time the kind of areas I should be looking at for a young family.Thanks for reading .

Dave and Sacha.

i would sugest down south Happy Valey /woodcroft /Morphett Vale and bellow down to Aldinga check out google earth. Christies Beach ,Noarlunga about 45-50 minuets to Adelaide .i came in 1977went back in 2000 for 7 years now back to stay .

morganic

Guest Guest9973
Hi tyke,

we did go up the Onkaparinga Hills for a drive when taking my misses mum to work at Bethsalem retirement home, funny place that as you start on the outer house's and work your way into the main house lol there should have them like that over here lol.

we will more than likely stay around morphet vale but i must say i do like mt barker area and wistow.

It's a real mix is Onk Hills.

Lots of houses really tucked away - like ours :smile:

Mt Barker is expanding rapidly - good place with all facilities and not too far from the city.Just a bit of a trip to the beach that's all.

• 2 months later...

Hello, Take a look at Flagstaff Hill, its the first suburb in the foothills, has a great prim school and very close to beaches (10mins), shopping (10mins) and city (30mins). Great place close enough, with great views and natural surrounds. We have lived here for 19 years and about to sell and build again. No traffic congestion, local community feeling at the shops, golf course and good local facilities. Cant go wrong.

All the best, keep in touch.

Colby

Thanks Colby,

Just looked at rentals in the Flagstaff area (some nice houses)

Wife keeps telling to stop looking until we get a firm date etc

We've seen some lovely properties (knowing that they will have gone before we get to Oz)

I just can't stop looking!

Can't wait now.

Darren, Janet & Kids

• 7 months later...
Guest oldham owl
Hi all,

Dave and Sacha.

Hi, just wanted to let you know there is another website with forums just for people like your self, uk police officers relocating to OZ. sorry i cant think of the name right now but give google a try.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest catsamgrant

We have been here for 4 years, lived in brighton, hove area so son could get into brighton high school. Area is fantastic, schools are great, large shopping mall 5 min drive at marion, plenty of drs surgeries and flinders hospital not farbut that comes at a premium, property is very expensive there. We moved to more affordable seaview 2km from brighton where blocks are bigger and prices less expensive.

Archived