pets and renting

Guest chester09

Guest chester09

hi i'm sure this is going to be my first question of many! We're moving to Melbourne-not sure where yet- and want to take our 2 cats with us but wondering how hard this then makes finding a rental property? does it cut our options down a lot?

thanks

Guest courtney1997

Hi , some Agents are a bit funny about pets, we are in perth and all the houses we viewed were no pets.I am sure there are some houses though.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chester09

We too bought over a cat from the UK and then got another cat here. Weve been in Melbourne for 2.5years and whilst there are the odd property/landlords that dont accept them weve havent really found it to be much of a problem at all. Our very first property was brand new, never been lived in and the landlord was fine with the cat. They will often put a clause in your lease in which if the cat causes any damage you will have to pay for it etc but as you probably know (unless you have a pair of rascals) that cats over approx 2 years old are pretty well behaved anyway, most of the time.

Just to add that we recently moved and upon enquiring about the cats being allowed we were told that given the current climate (recession etc) there are alot more properties out there for rent and landlords are actually being forced not to be so picky in their 'pet' decisions given the fact that it could result in them not being able to rent out their property if they say no to pets, given the fact that many properties have been on the market for 3,4,5,6+ months they arent in a position to be picky. As quoted to me be a real estate agent! When we got here 2.5years ago the race to find a place to live was extremley hard but now you have a pick of the bunch at much better prices too. Im sure you will be totally fine. Let me know if you need any details about bringing the fur babies over, will they be in quarantine at Spotswood? If so, brilliant, they were fantastic and couldnt recommend them highly enough.

Good luck with everything, Lindsay XX

Guest coopercav
hi i'm sure this is going to be my first question of many! We're moving to Melbourne-not sure where yet- and want to take our 2 cats with us but wondering how hard this then makes finding a rental property? does it cut our options down a lot?

thanks

Interested in this thread because in Nov we're bring our 2 cats at no expence spared :-)

I've spoken to estate agents expecting this would be an issue, but they've confirmed most people are okay. Best to emphasise they spend most of their time outdoors, are house trained, not kittens, clean and don't damage furnature/decorations etc.

Also, what the practical implications of the law in Victoria I hear about having to fully enclose your gardens with mesh netting so the cats can't get out or you get fined? Is this enforced as some gardens shape/design wouldn't lend itself to being enclosed.

Mark.

Chester, so far as I know there is no general law about confining cats in Victoria, though most suburbs require registration and microchipping. Some outer areas have cat curfews.

As another poster said, the slightly more competetive rental market, especially at the more expensive end means that even if a property description says no pets, you should still try.

You'll have to pay a pet bond, which is usually a month's rent.

Our mog came over at 11 years old and is still going strong at 16 - the hot summers seem to suit him.

Hi guys

Just to add some bits that im aware of about this.

Cooper, cats are not meant to roam here especially after dark but ive never heard of any laws enforcing the secureness of your garden. My cats are mainly housecats but are outside whenever we are in but only in the garden. In both of the gardens weve had here they have had pretty high fences but not so high that they couldnt jump them if they decided to! But I spent many hours watching them and it might sound daft but clapping my hands whenever it looked like they wanted to jump up to stop them and hey presto they have never once in 2 years jumped the fence.

As judgemental said they have to be microchipped (but they have to be to enter the country anyway) and you also have to register them with your local council and pay approx $30 per year per cat. Also with regards to the pet bond, have never paid this or heard of this. You obviously have to pay the standard bond but never heard any mention of an additional pet bond. Weve just had points in our lease agreement that we will pay for any damage and also have the carpets fumigated when we leave.

Lindsay :)

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Chester09

given the fact that many properties have been on the market for 3,4,5,6+ months they arent in a position to be picky. As quoted to me be a real estate agent! When we got here 2.5years ago the race to find a place to live was extremley hard but now you have a pick of the bunch at much better prices too.

Good luck with everything, Lindsay XX

Hi Lindsay

Please could you let me know which areas rental properties are vacant and on the market for 6 months? All the properties our clients are applying for are having lots of other families competing in fact some have another 20 families fighting for the same property, the only case this doesn't happen is if it is in a run down area and the property is not very well presented.

In fact the REIV (Realestate Institute Victoria) only said a few months ago that the rental vacancy rate is only 1.4% and in the city it is considerably less. In the outer suburbs there was only a 0.8% vacancy rate. Here is the article REIV

I agree that since the first home owners grants, there have been more people moving from rentals in to their own first property, BUT there is still a huge demand for properties.

I don't mean to be picky:wubclub: I just don't want people coming over and thinking that they will find a house no problem at all, sometimes you can land on your feet, other times you can fall flat on your face. We have had clients who have been in short term furnished for 4 weeks and not been able to secure a rental and that has been a professional couple with no children or pets. We have a couple now who have booked for 2 weeks furnished and they are running out of time fast in securing a rental.

There are quite a few rentals around that will accept pets and as long as it doesn't say NO PETS on the blurb then there is a good chance that they would consider them. However, if there was someone without pets they would probably gain priority over yourself.

Guest The Pom Queen
Interested in this thread because in Nov we're bring our 2 cats at no expence spared :-)

I've spoken to estate agents expecting this would be an issue, but they've confirmed most people are okay. Best to emphasise they spend most of their time outdoors, are house trained, not kittens, clean and don't damage furnature/decorations etc.

Also, what the practical implications of the law in Victoria I hear about having to fully enclose your gardens with mesh netting so the cats can't get out or you get fined? Is this enforced as some gardens shape/design wouldn't lend itself to being enclosed.

Mark.

Hi Mark

Some Municipalities have an order under section 25 of the Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act 1994. A section 25 order requires that cat owners to keep their pets confined to the property during specified hours (e.g. between dusk and dawn, or 24 hours a day). Contact your Council to check whether this applies in your Municipality. I know that Casey Council have a 24 hour curfew, so this means that they are not allowed outdoors at anytime UNLESS they are in an outdoor cat pen, or as you mentioned some owners like to cat proof their garden with the mesh Cat Enclosure Cat nets Cat Netting Cat Runs Enclosures . You do NOT have to do this but if you didn't have a secure outdoor area then you would be best keeping your cat indoors.

If your cat is found wandering and is unidentified and trapped it will be impounded under a section 25 order and will be held for 8 days (unless they are wild, uncontrollable or diseased, in which case they may be euthanased). If unclaimed, they may then be sold or euthanased.

Owners of identified cats (which yours will be as they will be microchipped coming from abroad) trapped under a section 25 order will be notified within 4 days of the cat’s impoundment. The cat will be held for 8 days, during which time it can be reclaimed by the owner (impounding fees and offence provisions will apply). If unclaimed after 8 days, it may be sold or euthanased.

In regards to the pet bond, by law realestate agents are not permitted to ask for a specific "Pet Bond" however, if this is offered they are able to accept. So you could say for example Dear Agent instead of the $1600 bond we will increase this to $2000 for allowing us to have our cat stay with us.

Hope this helps

Kate:wubclub:

Guest coopercav
Hi guys

Just to add some bits that im aware of about this.

Cooper, cats are not meant to roam here especially after dark but ive never heard of any laws enforcing the secureness of your garden. My cats are mainly housecats but are outside whenever we are in but only in the garden. In both of the gardens weve had here they have had pretty high fences but not so high that they couldnt jump them if they decided to! But I spent many hours watching them and it might sound daft but clapping my hands whenever it looked like they wanted to jump up to stop them and hey presto they have never once in 2 years jumped the fence.

As judgemental said they have to be microchipped (but they have to be to enter the country anyway) and you also have to register them with your local council and pay approx $30 per year per cat. Also with regards to the pet bond, have never paid this or heard of this. You obviously have to pay the standard bond but never heard any mention of an additional pet bond. Weve just had points in our lease agreement that we will pay for any damage and also have the carpets fumigated when we leave.

Lindsay :)

Lindsay,

Thanks for the post & it's nice to hear that bringing your cats has worked out, especially being able to keep them in the garden, no small achievment.

Our female cat will be no trouble as long as she's fed, but as for the male cat there's no fence high enough and no gap small enough to keep him enclosed! He's no trouble really, but when we open the door in the morning he's like a 100m sprinter out of the blocks and a 110m hurdler over the fence !

Thanks everyone for the reasurance, I was wondering if we were doing the right thing bringing them at one stage.

Mark.

Guest coopercav
Hi Mark

Some Municipalities have an order under section 25 of the Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act 1994. A section 25 order requires that cat owners to keep their pets confined to the property during specified hours (e.g. between dusk and dawn, or 24 hours a day). Contact your Council to check whether this applies in your Municipality. I know that Casey Council have a 24 hour curfew, so this means that they are not allowed outdoors at anytime UNLESS they are in an outdoor cat pen, or as you mentioned some owners like to cat proof their garden with the mesh Cat Enclosure Cat nets Cat Netting Cat Runs Enclosures . You do NOT have to do this but if you didn't have a secure outdoor area then you would be best keeping your cat indoors.

If your cat is found wandering and is unidentified and trapped it will be impounded under a section 25 order and will be held for 8 days (unless they are wild, uncontrollable or diseased, in which case they may be euthanased). If unclaimed, they may then be sold or euthanased.

Owners of identified cats (which yours will be as they will be microchipped coming from abroad) trapped under a section 25 order will be notified within 4 days of the cat’s impoundment. The cat will be held for 8 days, during which time it can be reclaimed by the owner (impounding fees and offence provisions will apply). If unclaimed after 8 days, it may be sold or euthanased.

In regards to the pet bond, by law realestate agents are not permitted to ask for a specific "Pet Bond" however, if this is offered they are able to accept. So you could say for example Dear Agent instead of the $1600 bond we will increase this to $2000 for allowing us to have our cat stay with us.

Hope this helps

Kate,

Thanks very much for your reply & inforomation. This type of reply is exactly what makes POI so useful to people like us who only have snippets of info to go on and need to understand how it applies practically.

On a seperate note, I do hope that couple with 2 weeks to go secure somewhere soon. We too have secured somewhere furnished for 4 weeks initially & we fully expect this to be the situation for us too, so will be going all out from day1 to secure something long term. But we're pragmatic & wouldn't be making the move if we weren't prepared to take a risk or 2. If all else fails Xmas in a tent would be different!

Thanks

Mark.

Guest The Pom Queen

On a seperate note, I do hope that couple with 2 weeks to go secure somewhere soon. We too have secured somewhere furnished for 4 weeks initially & we fully expect this to be the situation for us too, so will be going all out from day1 to secure something long term. But we're pragmatic & wouldn't be making the move if we weren't prepared to take a risk or 2. If all else fails Xmas in a tent would be different!

Thanks

Mark.

Hi Mark

Depending on where you want to be and what your budget is you should have enough time with 4 weeks, I have seen a few agents who have recently added some pet friendly rentals, so fingers crossed they are still here when you arrive. If all else fails we have a couple of property owners who are happy to accept pets over a longer period and will reduce the rental price, so don't worry we won't see you homeless over Christmas.

Guest coopercav
Hi Mark

Depending on where you want to be and what your budget is you should have enough time with 4 weeks, I have seen a few agents who have recently added some pet friendly rentals, so fingers crossed they are still here when you arrive. If all else fails we have a couple of property owners who are happy to accept pets over a longer period and will reduce the rental price, so don't worry we won't see you homeless over Christmas.

Much appreciated, ideally we'll find somewhere long term within the chosen school catchment area, but nice to know incase we can't.

Can't wait to get on with it, everyones kicking their heels and eager to get there now!

Mark.

Archived