taking dogs to Australia - what injections do they need?

Sarah and Paul

Hi

We are hoping to move to Australia next year and are taking our 2 dogs Hector and Archie with us. It is time for their booster injections and I want to make sure they get the correct injections. I tried ringing Defra and to be honest I did not trust the info given.

I was told they can have the normal injections - it will not cause a problem with going to Australia, but I am sure I have read some where Australia does not allow the same injections we have in the uk.

Also can anyone recommend a pet transporter - we live in North Wales. We have contacted Pet Air they seem good, but are based in the South so it will mean we have to take the dogs to Heathrow. Can pets go from Manchester? We will be flying to Melbourne.

thanks in advance

Sarah

:unsure:

Guest kate1973

Hi sarah,

Your dogs will get the booster injections and will need the anti-rabies injection. Just make sure the booster injections will be without the stuff against lepto, as they can test positive to this when they are injected against lepto. In the case of testing positive they are not allowed in to Australia.

Guest hartleys

Hi

Im pretty sure they all fly out of heathrow but some carriers will collect your dog from home (for a price of course) i was quoted £200 approx from manchester.

When they have their boosters done make sure to tell your vet not to vaccinate against lepto. They will prob still have some in their system from booster last yr as our dog did but they just re test after a few weeks to make sure the level hasnt risen. We used Airpets and can thouroughly recommend them.

Good luck

Lisa

Hi - in most cases, your pet exporter will walk you through these steps but I applied for the Import Permit myself (piece of cake really) and found it reassuring to have this guide handy so I knew what was coming next. It is the official AQIS step by step guide to exporting a dog or cat: http://www.daffa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/709207/category-2-information-package.pdf

There are contact details too of several exporters on this page if you need them:-

Our Partner Companies

Good luck with your move!

Karen

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sarah

It all depends on when you are considering flying with your dog. If it is within the next 6-7 months then I would ask the vet to not give the lepto vaccine.

Archived