Any one in Darwin?

Guest geordie mandy

Hi,

reading some of these posts I am really concerned and confused about schooling. My son will be 3 when we move out to Darwin and I will be taking him out of a fantastic preschool here which feeds into a fantastic school too! Im really concerned as I dont have any idea of the good or bad and it seems that government schooling isnt the best. Is it really the best thing to send him to private school or am reading too much into it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest paulandsharron

Hi Reddebz.

We were in Darwin 2009-2010, and whilst we loved the place, in retrospect, the state schooling isn't that good. We thought they were doing ok, then when we moved to Sydney last year and our children were assessed at their new schools, they needed a lot of extra help to catch-up with the rest of the kids.

My advice would be to get them into Essington, which is the only half-decent school (when compared with interstate schools) in the Darwin area. It's fee-paying but I personally wouldn't return to Darwin unless my emloyer was footing the schooling costs and I could get them into Essington. Anywhere else, and you'll have a nasty shock when you move on interstate or overseas.

Paul

Hi Reddebz,

The age they start school is different here too. Your son won't start pre-school here until he is 4 UNLESS he turns 4 before 30th June. If he turns 4 after 30th June I think he has to wait until the next term to start. Also every school is different with pre-school hours, the pre-school that my twins go to have 2 full days one week, 3 the next and they alternate like that. Personally I would prefer them to go every day either morning or afternoon but it just doesn't happen here.

Only alternative before he turns 4 is to put him into Day Care which costs roughly $60 a day, pretty expensive. Not sure which visa you are coming out (check this link and see if your visa is eligible for Family Assistance and other benefits http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/family-assistance-payments/family-tax-benefit/family-tax-benefit-part-a/residency-requirements-general.php) you may be entitled to around a 50% rebate on the costs, if not it will work out around $1200 a month in childcare costs.

Oh and to be honest most pre-schools are the same, I certainly wouldn't pay for a private pre-school.

Good luck.

Julie

Archived