IT Work in Adelaide??

Guest Hopetogetthere

Guest Hopetogetthere

Hi.

We are seriously considering the move to Oz, having discussed for years and years!

Speaking to a migration consultant, because of hubbys age (39!), and the fact he doesn't have a degree, we wil have to go down the route of an RPL from the ACS, then get a 475 visa. Apparently, South Australia is our best bet, as it has IT Manager on its lisitings at the moment.

However, my main concern is that I have seen lots of threads saying Adelaide is not an IT City. Although he's prepared to do anything, IT really is his area, and he'd like to stay in it if possible. I am a qualified bookkkeeper, but that doesn't seem to count for much on the visa front! We wouldn't really want to stay in Adelaide just to get a perminant visa, and then move on, as we have a young daughter and her schooling to consider in all this!

Does anyone have views on Adelaide for IT people, and what the salaries are like? I can see its difficult getting work at present, (isn't it everywhere?), but we are probably talking 18-24 months before we get out anyway, so hope things may have picked up by then?!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Guest bentkitty

When you say you are a bookkeeper, do you think you would meet the criteria for 'Accountant'?Accountants are in demand and on the Critical Skills List so you can get a 175 visa meaning you can live wherever you want to. Suggest you talk to your migration agent and ask them to send you the criteria for accountants from the Australian national institutes.

Guest Hopetogetthere

No, already looked to see if we could go via myself - I am AAT (Assoc Accounting Technicians) and ICB (Institute Certified Bookkeepers) qualified, but not CIMA or ACCA, or anything as listed on the Australian Visa Website for Accountants. Therefore we have to go with IT Manager (hubbys job), and whatever restrictions that holds as far as visa and location...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest StephenJones
Hi.

We are seriously considering the move to Oz, having discussed for years and years!

Speaking to a migration consultant, because of hubbys age (39!), and the fact he doesn't have a degree, we wil have to go down the route of an RPL from the ACS, then get a 475 visa. Apparently, South Australia is our best bet, as it has IT Manager on its lisitings at the moment.

However, my main concern is that I have seen lots of threads saying Adelaide is not an IT City. Although he's prepared to do anything, IT really is his area, and he'd like to stay in it if possible. I am a qualified bookkkeeper, but that doesn't seem to count for much on the visa front! We wouldn't really want to stay in Adelaide just to get a perminant visa, and then move on, as we have a young daughter and her schooling to consider in all this!

Does anyone have views on Adelaide for IT people, and what the salaries are like? I can see its difficult getting work at present, (isn't it everywhere?), but we are probably talking 18-24 months before we get out anyway, so hope things may have picked up by then?!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I am also interested in this topic

I have 20+yrs Programming experience (18+ AS400. 2+ IN c#.net) and wondering what the Adelaide market is like too.

Steve

Guest Hopetogetthere

We are still deliberating - shall we stay or shall we go?:confused:

The agent we are considering emailed hubby this morning to say now that Queensland have reduced their listings, everyone is looking at Adeliade, and they might daw in their quota as a result. Anyone else heard that one? (Or is he just desperate for our business?!!!)

Guest The "legdes"

I have heard that SA will be reviewing their list but I also do think that SA deem to play fairer than everyone else in that if they change their list and you've already applied they usually promise to honour your app also I'd be suprised if they did what QLD did and introduce in effect what was a "new" test element by retrospectively requiring applicants to have cash avail rather than equity as was previously acceptable. If they did that judging on their recent form they'd still onour anyone who'd already applied.

They seem to have a good amount of integrity.

If you are on SA list I'd get you app in as soon as you can. Good luck

Guest The "legdes"

On another note ... I'm an IT manager too. 20 years in IT , 10 as techie , 10 as manager. Moving to Adelaide 19/9. I've applied for a couple of jobs over the net and have had one small bite (still hoping something may come of it yet). I work for EDS/HP - they have offices in Adelaide loads of techie jobs (about 10 current) but no managers at present - probably due to recent merge with HP. I'm like hopetogetheres other half ..could do something else but don't want to ditch 20 years IT experience really. I recon we could all end up helping each other in the end..wel you know what its like once one gets a foot in the door its easy to open it for the rest. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

• 1 year later...
On another note ... I'm an IT manager too. 20 years in IT , 10 as techie , 10 as manager. Moving to Adelaide 19/9. I've applied for a couple of jobs over the net and have had one small bite (still hoping something may come of it yet). I work for EDS/HP - they have offices in Adelaide loads of techie jobs (about 10 current) but no managers at present - probably due to recent merge with HP. I'm like hopetogetheres other half ..could do something else but don't want to ditch 20 years IT experience really. I recon we could all end up helping each other in the end..wel you know what its like once one gets a foot in the door its easy to open it for the rest. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

hi The "legdes"

i know this is a really old thread now, but just wondered as you've been over in Oz a while now what the job situation is like 'on the ground' as it were? my OH is also an IT manager so this is of much interest to us......

hope all is going well

Jill

Archived